Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dave171

W2 shows state income tax withheld for CT. Employer is not a CT company and there is no Employer state ID number on W2. Why won't turbotax let me leave it blank?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

W2 shows state income tax withheld for CT. Employer is not a CT company and there is no Employer state ID number on W2. Why won't turbotax let me leave it blank?

Usually, state tax applies to income earned in that state, regardless of the employer's domicile.

I would fill it in, and apply the net state taxes paid in 2021 toward the (unfortunately lowered) SALT deduction, if it benefits you to take it.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

If the space for a state tax ID number is blank on your W-2 form, but state tax was withheld, you can use the EIN  in the state ID field. The EIN is in box b, which is usually near the top of the form. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@dave171 

Just make sure you check each and every W-2 copy they have on their PDF set of W-2 forms.  Usually, there is more than one W-2 provided in a paper/PDF W-2 set.  One copy for the IRS, and one or several for using with the state filings (In case you end up paper filing by mail)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies