turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tax_user_45
Returning Member

W2 Question with Severance

My ex-employer paid me a severance vis the normal pay periods after I was laid off.  However, my W2 does not report the payments.  For example, let's say I made $20,000.  I was laid off.  They paid me an additional $20,000 in the normal weekly paychecks after being laid off and took out state and federal taxes.  The wages/tips (Box 1) of the W2 does not reflect the $40,000 total.  Should it or should only the other tax boxes reflect the taxes taken out of the total $40,000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, severance if taxable at all levels, including the federal tax. Here is the official IRS document, Publication 4128 - Internal Revenue Service. Your answer is the first one at the top of the page numbered 2.

Contact your employer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

was the final paycheck issue in 2020?   if so, that extra $20K is reported in 2020 otherwise the W-2 is wrong. 

tax_user_45
Returning Member

Nope, it was issued in 2019.   

tax_user_45
Returning Member

@AmyC 

Thank you four your response. Correct and that was taxed appropriately (i.e. state and federal taken out of normal pay and additionally out of severance).  However the YTD on the final paycheck (no longer an employee) and Box 1 don't match by the amount of severance I was paid.  Should those match?  To clarify, my last paystub as an employee is close to what the W2 has but it doesn't include the severance.

For what it's worth, I did contact my employer who has been unresponsive and therefore contacted the IRS.

edit: I did contact the IRS and they said while the additional severance was indeed taxed and shows on the W2, that amount doesn't necessarily have to be in Box 1.  I understand there will be a little discrepancy between YTD and Box 1 but in this case, the discrepancy was the total severance amount.   It still doesn't make sense to me why that is not included as they took taxes out of it and I am just trying to get reassurance that the W2 is correct. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies