Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JeffK4
Returning Member

W2 Non-qualified deferred compensation (State amount) erroneously fails Federal review

I have a W2 with only Non-qualified deferred compensation as income. Using Turbo Tax 2023.

The amounts in the W2 boxes 1, 11, and 16 all have the same values.  The same number is also reported (the same) in box 14 (code YT).  To be clear, this is a distribution to me, not a contribution to a plan.

When I get to the federal review, an error is called out citing the total amount of the state distributions in the W2 (box 11 - but not the actual W2 box, this is something Turbo Tax adds to its W2 form) do not match the federal amount. All the values do match exactly.  Also there is only one state involved here. I am directed to correct the state amounts. But they already match. I cannot get past this error with the numbers I need to enter on my W2.

I have attempted this with different numbers.  It appears that if the values in boxes 1, 11, and 16 have any cents in the value, the error occurs.  It does not matter if the cents are < 50 or >= 50.  If the values are entered as whole numbers, the error does not get flagged.  My value reported is > 50 and I believe I need to match that exactly as reported.

Restated. Values such as 30000.65 or 30000.41 fail review.  30000.00 passes the review.

I sent in a data file. Token is 1167389

Thanks for any assistance.

Looks like this is the same issue I just found in this thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/w-2-box-11-glitch/00/3132780/message-id/1149181

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

W2 Non-qualified deferred compensation (State amount) erroneously fails Federal review

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AmyC
Expert Alumni

All tax returns are required to be filed with whole dollar amounts. TurboTax software is required to round so that may be causing your issue. Go ahead and enter the rounded numbers.  See 1040 instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JeffK4
Returning Member

Thank you for your response.  I think "required" is a little strong.  Rounding values on federal tax returns is optional.  You can choose to round the numbers, and if you do, you have to round numbers through-out the return. However, when two or more values are used to figure the amount on a given form line, the cents must be included in the values used in the calculation.

Personally, I always get nervous when I do not match everything exactly on a W-2 form as it is given to me and reported to the IRS.

Fortunately, I do not have to worry about it. Thankfully, today's program update corrected the issue.  I passed review and was able to file with the cents still present.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies