Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trymene1

W2 box 12 code w is being taxed

My W2 has a code W (HSA contributions) in box 12. When this amount changes my refund amount changes as well. This should not be taxable income. I haven't gotten my 1099 SA yet so I can only assume that is the reason it's being taxed right now, but I've never had the issue before this year. Has anyone else experienced this or know of a way to fix it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I believe there was a message that tells you to complete the HSA interview in the Medical deduction section. Until you complete that exercise, the program has no way to know if your HSA contributions are allowed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I believe there was a message that tells you to complete the HSA interview in the Medical deduction section. Until you complete that exercise, the program has no way to know if your HSA contributions are allowed.

As rebab said, until you tell TurboTax that you qualify to contribute to a HSA, TurboTax taxes that and charges you a penalty.  Later on in the interview when you say you had a High Deductible Health Plan and no other insurance, it will remove the tax and penalty.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies