Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W-4

I have a second job that I started a couple of months ago, how do I make sure that I am taking out enough taxes so I don't owe anything at the end of the year. I already have to pay a couple of hundred per year for my first job. Trying to eliminate owing anything at all.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Adria L
Expert Alumni

W-4

For your primary job with the highest income, you should have the W4 exemptions match your filing status and dependents claimed. For example, if you are married filing joint and have 1 dependent, list 3. However, for your second job, list 0, so that the maximum amount is deducted. 

This helps ensure that the correct amount of tax is deducted, when the income from  your second job is combined with your primary job. Do you know where to enter on W4?

HirschCPA
Expert Alumni

W-4

While the W4 does not look like a complicated form, it can be quite confusing when you have more than one job.  When you have more than one income (you have two jobs or both you and your spouse work), the payroll system at each employer needs to know this in order to withhold taxes based on your total income from all your jobs.  By taking your combined income into account, each employer's payroll system will be able to estimate your tax bracket and required withholdings more accurately.  You will need to submit an updated W4 for your current employer and one for your new employer.

For example:

Income from employer #1 = $50K

Income from employer #2 = $25K

When completing the W4 for Employer #1, you want to indicate in the "Step 2: Multiple Jobs or Spouse Works" section that there is an additional $25K being earned through Employer #2.

When completing the W4 for Employer #2, you want to indicate in the "Step 2: Multiple Jobs or Spouse Works" section that there is an additional $50K being earned through Employer #1.

This will annualize your income in the payroll systems to the $75K you expect to earn in a year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies