Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dekleer

W-2 Box 17 >> Box 1

I received a W-2 from an ex-employer which makes no sense, but their hr insists its correct after multiple exchanges with them.  Box 1 is 6222.20, Box 4 is 9932.40, Box17 is 38601.59.  Turbotax happily imports this from ADP so it must be ok?  Turbotax reports I get a massive refund from the state.  hr does not want to communicate with me anymore.  They act like I am idiot.  What could I be missing?  What do I do?  I would think its a mathematical fact that Box 1 > Box 4 and Box 1 > Box 17 always. And Box 2 is 832.47 and Box 6 901.64 which seems ok??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

W-2 Box 17 >> Box 1

To clarify

do you think you paid over $38,000 in state taxes? 

Does not seem right to me. 

Is there a back story to this? Did you have to repay anything to the employer? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

W-2 Box 17 >> Box 1

9,932.40 is the max for box 4.  How much is in box 3?  For 2023 the max for Social Security is $9,932.40 on $160,200 of wages (160,200 x 6.2%).  And how much is box 5?  Box 6 is box 5 x 1.45%.  

Is anything listed in box 12, especially with code D?  But box 1 does seem very very low.  

W-2 Box 17 >> Box 1

what's in box 16? it's almost impossible for box 17 to be greater than box 16. however, box 16 and box 1 do not have to agree. $38K seems wrong. 

if you imported something may have gone wrong. in this case you need to look at the actual w-2. 

also if you kept your pay stubs you can add up the state w/h on them

this can also present a federal issue if wrong. schedule A taxes are limited to $10K but if that $10K allows you to itemize when ithe correct amount would produce a lower deduction or not enable you to itemize, then in the future should the employer correct the W-2 you have to file an amended federal return and then possibly owe taxes penalties and interest. 

I would also say not to file until this issue is resolved.

if this was federal w/h, you would be instructed to contact the iRS

I don't know if the state would do anything but it wouldn't hurt to contact the state department of revenue to see what they suggest or will do?  

dekleer

W-2 Box 17 >> Box 1

Box 3 and 5  are 62181.69. Box 12 is completely empty.

dekleer

W-2 Box 17 >> Box 1

Box 16 is same as Box 1: 6222.20.  The import and the paper copy are the same.  The paystub is not very helpful as it has the same data as my W-2.  On the pay stub they have "Offset net pay" of 45,568.75 which is the only way they  can make the numbers total up, otherwise there would have had a huge negative check!?  But that 45, 568.75 appears no where on my W-2.  So yes my pay stub matches all the boxes on the W-2 to the penny.

W-2 Box 17 >> Box 1

Then your W2 is messed up.  If box 3 is 62,181.69 then box 4 has to be 3,855.26.  Box 6 is right.  But box 5 should be the same as box 1.    

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

W-2 Box 17 >> Box 1

To clarify, what was the "offset" of 45,568.75?

I would think you would know if you earned 62,000 or 6,200. 

If the Employer offset your income, that income would still be included in Box 1 on your W-2 unless it was income that you had to pay back to the employer the same year it was to be reported as earned. 

@dekleer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies