Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

afs9239

W-2 box 12 more than four codes needed

Hello,
My wife's W-2 has codes and values in boxes 12a (code C), 12b (code D), 12c (code AA), and 12d (code DD).  She contributed to her HSA, and should also have a code W box 12 entry.  Is this not included in her W-2 since there are only four boxes available?  How do i correct this?  Is this information available elsewhere?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
mnbob2

If you are sure that she contributed to and HSA then you should contact her employer for an amended W-2. However many people get HSA (Healthcare Savings Account) and FSA (Flexible Spending Account) confused. Is it possible that she has been contributing to an FSA? Contributions to an FSA will not be shown separately on her W-2. It lowers the amount in Wages (Box 1). HSA's can be much larger and carryover from year to year. They are designed to be used with high deductible medical insurance plans. FSA's have an annual limit of $2,500 and must be used in full within the calendar year. Any unused funds are forfeited.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mnbob2

If you are sure that she contributed to and HSA then you should contact her employer for an amended W-2. However many people get HSA (Healthcare Savings Account) and FSA (Flexible Spending Account) confused. Is it possible that she has been contributing to an FSA? Contributions to an FSA will not be shown separately on her W-2. It lowers the amount in Wages (Box 1). HSA's can be much larger and carryover from year to year. They are designed to be used with high deductible medical insurance plans. FSA's have an annual limit of $2,500 and must be used in full within the calendar year. Any unused funds are forfeited.
afs9239

mnbob2, thank you for your informative reply.  I just learned that, although my wife has had a balance in her HSA since 2015, she did not contribute to it in 2016.  That explains the absence of a code W entry.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies