turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

schwe015

When I enter my self-employment 1099-MISC under Self-Employment Income, it gets added again under Income from 1099-MISC. This duplicates my income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

When I enter my self-employment 1099-MISC under Self-Employment Income, it gets added again under Income from 1099-MISC. This duplicates my income.

Visually, it looks like your income is doubled, but in reality it is only being claimed one time on your tax return. 

TurboTax does this because it can serve as a way for you to be sure you have entered everything.  Not all income shown on Form 1099-MISC would be reported as self-employment income and not all self-employment income is reported on Form 1099-MISC.  By showing it to you visually in the Form 1099-MISC section, you can tell quickly if you have entered all of your forms.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Visually, it looks like your income is doubled, but in reality it is only being claimed one time on your tax return. 

TurboTax does this because it can serve as a way for you to be sure you have entered everything.  Not all income shown on Form 1099-MISC would be reported as self-employment income and not all self-employment income is reported on Form 1099-MISC.  By showing it to you visually in the Form 1099-MISC section, you can tell quickly if you have entered all of your forms.

intu62

I prepared my return entering MISC-1099 income also as Business Income and a 2nd return omitting B.I..    My tax refund was grossly different!  Definitely duplicated my income!

Same issues with TT counting 1099MISC income twice, regardless of how I enter it. I've tried entering it just  as self employed income.  This generates additional questions, and end result it counts it twice.    If I delete 1099 info from self employment module and enter under the separate 1099 section, it generates additional questions and counts it twice.  Either way, it generates additional questions, and end result is it counted twice. I know what my total income, and regardless of how the 1099MISCs are entered, TT counts them twice.  It won't generate Schedule C either way.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies