Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vehicle Registration Fees

I entered my vehicle registration fees like I do every year but this year, the total amount did not show up on the completed form?  Is this a new tax rule or was this an error in TurboTax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

To close out my issue and maybe help someone else.

I took the standard deduction in 2019.

I took the standard deduction in 2020.

I also took the standard deduction on 2021.

Only in 2021 does TurboTax not reflect the total entry made for Vehicle Registration Fees.

I maybe the only one seeing this anomaly, but I have figured out that it doesn't really affect my return.

Thanks to all that tried to help.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Greg126

If you take the standard deduction I do not believe it will show up

The weird part is, it showed up on my last years return.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Property taxes are an itemized deduction.   If you are taking the standard deduction, you can't deduct your registration fees.   Check your Form 1040, Line 12a to see if you are taking the standard or itemized deductions.    

Is my car registration deductible?  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Only in 2021 does TurboTax not reflect the total entry made for Vehicle Registration Fees.

I maybe the only one seeing this anomaly, but I have figured out that it doesn't really affect my return.

@jccbone62 wrote:

Vehicle license fees are NEVER deductible, only that property  fee that is a property tax  based on the value of the vehicle is if listed separately o n the registration bill is and it  makes not difference unless all your itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction which is:

2021 standard deductions

$12,550 Single
$18,800 Head of Household
$25,100 Married Jointly

Add an additional $1,700 for over age 65 or blind.

Only about 10% of taxpayers have enough deduction to qualify.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

100% agree. It should still show up this year as it has all other years.

Mine is doing the same thing. It is very frustrating because it shows up in the years past as well. I called customer service about it but the woman did not know what she was saying. She told me that I had taken an itemized deduction from years past, which isn't true. I have always taken the standard deduction. I wish customer service representatives actually knew what they were talking about instead of your average joe blow who doesn't know squat. Wish someone here actually could leave a good response as well. Guess I need to find a CPA since everyone working for TT is a dummy. No wonder they got sued.

@Black-Byrd If you are getting your standard deduction and are not itemizing deductions, then your vehicle registration fee has no effect at all on your tax due or refund.   That could only affect your refund or tax due if you also have enough other itemized deductions like mortgage interest, property tax, charity donations, medical expenses, etc. to exceed your standard deduction.   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-credits-deductions/car-registration-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies