Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MJR

Vehicle depreciation with rental properties

How do you handle vehicle depreciation when using that vehicle for multiple rental properties?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

List the vehicle under one of the rentals and depreciate. It's not necessary to divide among all properties. All income and all expenses are netted together on the schedule E. It's more of a bookkeeping issue than a tax one.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

List the vehicle under one of the rentals and depreciate. It's not necessary to divide among all properties. All income and all expenses are netted together on the schedule E. It's more of a bookkeeping issue than a tax one.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@PaulaM , I just found and like the answer you gave in 2019 regarding deprecation of vehicle used for multiple rental properties. I'm asking for your help in a question I posted earlier today about this, mostly because last year, in the 2nd year of depreciation for a vehicle, I tried to enter depreciation for three different properties entering in TurboTax and two of the properties had use under 50%, one over 50%. Because I initially used MACRS 200DB MQ 5 yr in first year (when I only used for a single property  at end of year), the depreciation dropped to 20% in year 2  for two of the properties because of less than 50% in use for two properties, while the third had over 50% use and allowed 38%. Super confusing. So, my question is, as long as all business use when totaled among the various rental properties is greater than 50% am I OK  using MACRS 200DB or should I convert everything at this point to 20% SL for remainder of depreciation (I'm filing for 2022 now which is year 3 of depreciation.)  And should I go back and file a corrected return for 2021 with everything on one rental due to change in accounting and used combined depreciation on rental with most use each year?  I'm keeping track of things on a spreadsheet outside of TurboTax showing each property allocation of depreciation (essentially a Life History of Asset allocated among properties each year.

Thanks in advance.

-Nut

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies