Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Using turbotax without state forms error 190

I helped my son with his taxes and he purchased the New York state forms.  I want to help him review his federal taxes, and have a copy of his tax file.  However, turbotax won't even let me load the file since I don't have the new york forms on my computer.  I get error 190.  I only want to help him review his federal forms.  How can I load this tax file on my computer without purchasing New York again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I know you're referring to review of federal forms, but see if the TurboTax Help article Error 190 when opening file in TurboTax Desktop helps you get around the issue.

If it doesn't, feel free to post back with more information.

Thanks.  The link you pointed  to says to download the state forms and wants to charge me for them.  My son paid for and downloaded the forms on his computer, and I do not have access to his computer.  I just want to look at the federal form and do not want to pay again for the new york forms.

I think you are stuck and have to buy NY state download.  You can try calling in and ask for NY.  

This probably won't work but maybe you can log into his account and download it.?  If you try this let me know how it goes.

1. Go to Access my Downloads  and sign in with the same user ID you used to purchase your software.
  2. On Your TurboTax account, select Downloads.
  3. Select the version you want to download and save it somewhere on your computer where you can find it.
  4. Install your software by double-clicking the downloaded file.

After you get the program installed or reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Enter some basic information, then go to the state tab and download the state program. Then try to open your existing return, go to FILE - OPEN

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies