Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Using the "What-If" Worksheet to compare married filing jointly with married filing seperately

What line of the "What-If" worksheet accounts for the first $10,200 of unemployment income being tax-free for earners below a certain threshold this year?

I am low earner with almost as much in unemployment income this year as regular wages. My husband is a high earner and we don't have children, education, or mortgage expenses. Using the CD version of Turbo Tax I am trying to compare if it would be better for us to file separately this year, because if our incomes are combined we exceed the threshold for the first $10,200 being tax free.

Where can I look on the "What-If" for to see if it accurately accounting for the fact I wouldn't have to pay taxes on that portion of my unemployment income if we filed separately, but I would have to pay if we filed together? Right now it is showing we would have to pay about $1000 more if we filed separately but I'm not convinced this is accurate if I can't see on the form where it accounted for the first $10,200 being tax free in the MFS scenario.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Using the "What-If" Worksheet to compare married filing jointly with married filing seperately

Look at line 19 of the What-If worksheet to see the taxable amount of unemployment, before adjusting for the $10,200.  The adjustment for the $10,200 will be shown on line 21 Other Income of the What-If worksheet.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Line 19 is filling properly, but nothing is populating in any of scenarios on line 21. This confirms my suspicion that the worksheet isn't deducting the first $10,200 of unemployment. My income is $53,500. $24,600 of that is unemployment. Where should I make a manual correction so that the first $10,200 isn't taxed?

My husband's income is a little over $140,000, so my understanding is that if we file together I have to pay tax on all of the unemployment, that is why I want to see if separately ends up being better for us.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

You can either right-click the unemployment compensation number on line 19 and override the amount there -- reduce it by $10,200.  Or go to line 21 Other Income and enter a -$10,200.  Either option should work to show you the results for the MFS return.

@ConfusedInMA

Overriding line 19 works. Entering a negative quantity in line 21 does not work because it forces the same quantity in the spouse's column (which I am pretty sure is wrong if filing separately). MFS does end up saving us money. However, now I am concerned that when I finalize the taxes that Turbo Tax will not account for the $10,200 exclusion correctly. What forms and lines do I need to double check before filing?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@ConfusedInMA  When you Print/View/Save your return, the Unemployment Exclusion will show on Schedule 1, Line 8 as UCE with a -10,200 amount (screenshot). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies