Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Using my state's website to file, the credit for taxes paid to another state do not agree. Third Q to the community and zero responses, next year different tax software!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Using my state's website to file, the credit for taxes paid to another state do not agree. Third Q to the community and zero responses, next year different tax software!

The Community is a collection of employees and volunteers. We do not have access to your tax return, for obvious privacy reasons. For this reason, until you give us some more information - like what states you are talking about - we can't possibly answer your specific situation. 

I see that you have previously asked only one question about tax, and it was answered. The other two "questions" also had replies, although possibly not the ones you wanted. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When I log in to TurboTax  turbotax.intuit.com  I get the screen that is sales related, there's NO selection to go to the community and see what I posted, so in your email I selected the 'highlighted' subject and got into the community...  

I'm doing taxes for Delaware and Maryland.

I found a Oth State Cr Wk (MD) in the Delaware Individual (Forms in My Return)

Part A - Full Year Residents Only (Form 200-01)

Note: I'm filing as 4 - Married Filing Combined Separate on this form

B Enter taxes paid to other state shows $946

My state withholding for MD was $726,  the total tax for MD (Form 505) is $946

There's a calculation on line 3 that ends up as 64.15%

line 4 says Enter amount from line 6, Delaware Tax    amount is $940

line 5 multiplies the percent against $940 to arrive at $603, as the 'credit amount'

When I fill out the Delaware return on DE state website (I do this to save paying the TurboTax fees) the amount on line 10 (Tax imposed by other state) is $726   Delaware didn't do the calculation of my AGI in DE/MD...

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Without building a Delaware/Maryland test case that is close to yours, let me note that the Delaware instructions explicitly say, "A signed copy of other state’s income tax return(s) if you claim a credit for taxes paid to another State. Do NOT use the amount from your W-2 form(s)." See General Instructions Resident Individual Income Tax Return.

In addition, in the instructions for Line 10 (page 7 above), there is a worksheet that you must complete in order to enter the other state's taxes as a credit. 

Thus, simply entering the W-2 value for taxes paid to another state as you did would not seem to be correct. Perhaps, the Delaware online website is not intended for taxpayers who reside in Delaware but pay taxes to another state. 

I have no personal knowledge of how the state website works, so I will point you to the Delaware Instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've used the Delaware website for years, anyone that is required to file a return for the state can either submit their return(s) via tax software or use each states website.   All states have them, I've previously used VA and CA.

At the end of entering your data the website determines what documents you need to attach. At this point it's just saying the return from the other state (MD).

This year I had to submit a Schedule A, didn't last year, so I filled out the Delaware Schedule A and uploaded, every year states make changes, that's what government does...

I don't read the instructions as that's supposed to be the benefit of using tax software, just answer the questions...

In any event it does have the same calculation TurboTax used, the website obviously isn't matching their instructions, so I'll see what happens when I file...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies