Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

5NV
Level 1

Using different AGIs when e-filing jointly

Me and my wife filed jointly last year (printed and mailed).

When I tried to e-file this year with our joint AGI from last year I got the spouse AGI mismatch error: "IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database".

When we use 0 as AGI for both of us, we get the generic AGI error: "IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records".

I assume IRS has my AGI set correctly but doesn't have the correct AGI for my wife... I tried the various "return was not processed yet" options in TurboTax but couldn't get it to accept different AGIs for me and my wife.

Does TurboTax support using the actual AGI for me, while using 0 for my wife?

---

P.S. I should mention that my wife has a self-selected PIN, not sure if this is related.

P.P.S. I'm using TurboTax Online Premium 2023

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
5NV
Level 1

As a reference for others, reporting different AGIs (the correct sum for me and 0 for my wife) solved the problem and the return was accepted for e-filing.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The issue is not with Tutbotax but the IRS.  Since you filed jointly in 2022 the AGI you should be using for 2023 for both of you is the amount on the joint return. There is no reason for the IRS to have different AGIs for 2022 if you originally file jointly. If you first filed separately and then amended to a joint return. then the proper AGI would be off the separate returns. One other thing to check is that her SSN is correct. You can use the joint return AGI for yourself and 0 for your spouse, but it's likely to be rejected.  Sometimes there's an issue with the IRS database which would require you to file by mail. 

but first, I suggest, checking the iRS transcript of your 2022 return 

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/sso/?resumePath=%2Fas%2FMawfXhkY41%2Fresume%2Fas%2Fauthorization.ping&allowI... 

5NV
Level 1

Hi Mike, thank you for your answer!

No, we didn't amend our return, just filed jointly... I have verified my spouse SSN, and I'm now trying to get the transcripts as you suggested (website shows "Opening document..." but seems to be stuck).

Any chance you can instruct me how to use the joint return AGI for myself and 0 for my spouse using the online version of TurboTax? I understand this is not very likely to work, but maybe it's worth a shot?

Also, I've seen here I am filing my 2023 taxes and they’ve been rejected & the reasoning is that the AGI is incorrect fro... that someone suggested to try choosing the option of "did not file last year" in cases where there is a discrepancy in IRS DBs. Could that work in my case?

5NV
Level 1

Updating that our case the transcripts have the correct AGI for which we get the errors.

5NV
Level 1

As a reference for others, reporting different AGIs (the correct sum for me and 0 for my wife) solved the problem and the return was accepted for e-filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies