turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Used Am.opportunity credit in2015, 2016, skipped 2017, and using it in 2018; but in 2019 and 2020, he’ll still be undergrad.Can I still use my last AOC. in 2019 OR 2020?

None

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Used Am.opportunity credit in2015, 2016, skipped 2017, and using it in 2018; but in 2019 and 2020, he’ll still be undergrad.Can I still use my last AOC. in 2019 OR 2020?

Yes, you can, assuming all other qualifying requirements are met.

As you've experienced already, there's not a requirement that the credit must be used in consecutive years.  What would disqualify you is if you've claimed it in any four previous years.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ "Who is eligible to take the American Opportunity Tax Credit?" below for the qualifying information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5358150

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can, assuming all other qualifying requirements are met.

As you've experienced already, there's not a requirement that the credit must be used in consecutive years.  What would disqualify you is if you've claimed it in any four previous years.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ "Who is eligible to take the American Opportunity Tax Credit?" below for the qualifying information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5358150

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies