Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unknowingly Charged Extra Per State Filing

I paid for Turbo Tax premium to help in doing my federal taxes. I chose to have the money taken out of my refund and paid the $40 fee for it. Later after filing a few weeks later, I realized I was also charged per state causing a bigger chunk to be take out of my refund than I thought. I would not have used TurboTax or paid for the premium if I had seen the charge per state. How can I go about getting refunded for the state payments that I were not listed when I filed for my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Once payment has been received for TurboTax Online, the product is considered to have been used to prepare your taxes. Payment reflects your satisfaction with TurboTax Online preparation of your taxes, and is non-refundable.

Here are three scenarios where a refund would be warranted: 

• You accidentally selected and paid for the wrong state.
  • You are seeing duplicate charges.
  • The product has a known defect that can't be fixed by moving to TurboTax Desktop or that occurs before a filing deadline.

If you believe you qualify for a refund, you can use the form on this link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you were using the TurboTax online web-based editions, after you completed the federal and state tax returns, the Reviews for each return, you would advanced to the File section.  In Step 1 of the File section you would have been presented with your online account order.  The state charge was clearly shown.

Screenshot from the File section, Step 1 of the TurboTax online Premium edition with state -

Online 2023 Order Summary.JPG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies