Sdc2613

Unemployment

The adjusted gross income on my transcripts have changed but I haven’t received anything in the mail about it. Also there is 290 line with the amount of $0 what does that mean?

SoCalGal21

Unemployment

Hi Sdc2613.  Yes when the IRS adjusted for nontaxed unemployment income after the 2020 return was filed, they did adjust your AGI Adjusted Gross Income as well.  

The refunds are being processed in batches, with more complex returns at the end of the line.  For example, the first refunds issued were to those single filers with no dependents.

The IRS has now processed their 4th batch of refunds with some still remaining.

Naturally you could contact the IRS to see if they have any further information.

You can log into your IRS account and under Records, Select View Notices and Letters to see if a letter was sent regarding your situation. 

You can also view your 2020 Account Transcript under Records as well to see if an additional refund has been processed for your account.  It will show up here before it shows up in your bank account or is mailed to you.

Suggestions for Contacting the IRS. The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Sdc2613

Unemployment

What about the 290 additional tax assessed and the amount is zero? Does that mean I won’t get anything? @SoCalGal21 

SoCalGal2021

Unemployment

I'm not sure what the 290 tax is?  Do you know which line of your 1040 return it is on?  There is a line 29 on the 1040 for the American Opportunity Credit from Form 8863.

Sdc2613

Unemployment

It’s on my 2020 transcripts. @SoCalGal2021 

SoCalGal2021

Unemployment

I'm so sorry, I'm not understand your question.  You filed a 1010 tax return through TurboTax that had no additional tax of $290 and your 2020 IRS tax return transcript shows an additional tax of $290?  

Sdc2613

Unemployment

So when I go to my 2020 account transcripts the last line says 290 additional taxes assessed then it has an amount of $0. @SoCalGal2021