BigTwin21

Unemployment

Hey this my first time doing my own taxes and I wanted to know how do I go about doing my taxes if I got approved for unemployment but never received any money from unemployment?

JohnB5677

Unemployment

If you never got unemployment in 2020 there will be no tax on it.  If there was an amount that was taxable you would have received a form 1099-G.

However, if you qualified for unemployment you must have worked somewhere.  You would not be required to file a return if you’re single and earned $12,400 or less in 2020 because the $12,400 deduction would reduce your taxable income to $0.

BigTwin21

Unemployment

Appreciate it, it was just confusing cause I got approved for it with start and end date but haven’t gotten anything and then I log in a couple days ago and it asked me about receiving a 1099-G in my email but never got it so I guess that’s why because I never received a payment. So thank you for letting me know.