Solved: UNDETERMINED TERM TRANSACTIONS FOR NONCOVERED TAX ...

metal450

UNDETERMINED TERM TRANSACTIONS FOR NONCOVERED TAX LOTS

The 1099-B I received from my brokerage includes several transactions labeled as "UNDETERMINED TERM TRANSACTIONS FOR NONCOVERED TAX LOTS."  They're all for a physical metal ETF.  They all show quantity of 0, and the proceeds for each are less than 0.50c.  If I round to whole dollars as I do for the rest of my return, this results in my listing a bunch of transactions where (d) proceeds, (e) cost or other basis, and (h) gain or loss are all $0.

Is it better to list them all like this - with all zeros - or just omit them?  If I omit them, I'm concerned the IRS will flag it & ask why I didn't report the transactions.  If I include them, I'm concerned the IRS will flag it & ask why I'm reporting a bunch of nonsensical transactions with both cost and sales price of $0.

ColeenD3

@metal450

You have no really good option. Any one you choose could raise questions. I agree with fanfare. If they all have different sales dates and you aggregate them, there is another issue. You could choose one date, but all the others will be wrong. Omitting is the easiest option.

@mberwine

You can choose a purchase date, as long as if it is short term, you choose a date that will reflect that. Short term is one year or less.

fanfare

if you have a quantity of zero shs. and proceeds less than 0.50

I suggest your scratch those transactions from your tax return.

DavidD66

I would aggregate them and report them as a single transaction.

metal450

They all have different sale dates (see below). What would I list for date sold, then...?

2021-03-09 20.05.18.png

mberwine

I also have those and I can't clear the REVIEW NEEDED without a purchase date.  The only option I can see is to delete them - but I have no idea what that will cause.  I'm guessing a 1099-B isn't even available with the details and I also noticed that there were fees/expenses of an equal amount to the problematic entries later in the document.  I'm confused.....

ColeenD3

@metal450

@mberwine

metal450

Thanks. I ended up listing them all as they were on the 1099, rounded to zero, since that seemed to best follow what I was doing for all the other values across my return, & also woudl match my 1099.  Hopefully a human will see it & understand.  What a ridiculous/unnecessary thing to even need to deal with, tho 😛

mberwine

Thanks - I spoke to someone at TurboTax.  Yep - I just added the numbers as they are listed in the 1099-b form also.  Marked the purchase date as blank and the capital gains as not available.  It still says "Needs Review" on my TurboTax page - but I was told you can just ignore it.   How did you choose between long and short-term gains??  I looked at the brokerage site for my TDAmeritrade account and there were multiple purchases and sales over several years (I wonder why this wasn't an issue last year...).  I sort of assumed that selecting short-term gains would pay the most tax so would be the least likely to be an issue.  But still wasn't sure.  All this time and effort for a $1.80 entry in my taxes.......makes me want to get rid that that particular investment.....

metal450

I did short term, but I didn't start acquiring this ETF until the last year.  I think you'll definitely be fine picking short term, because as you say, that will result in the higher taxes, which they're always happy to take.