Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Understanding new w-4

Hello, I was going to update my w-4 to get more money on paychecks, when I noticed it no longer asked for deductions. I originally filed 5 deductions on the old forms and still get a large refund on my taxes. How do I fill it out now to get more in pocket and less in refund. I am married, filling jointly, single job with 4 children all under 17.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GabyC-EA
Employee Tax Expert

Understanding new w-4

Hi Spinfj,

The Form W-4for 2023 looks a little different than prior years. Deductions are now claimed in Step 3. In this step, you multiply the number of qualifying children under the age of 17 by $2,000 and the number of other dependents by $500. You add both amounts and enter the total on line 3. 

If you want additional adjustments, you  can also fill out step 4 (b). In this section you can add deductions you expect to claim other than the Standard Deduction. You can use the deduction worksheet on page 3 to calculate the amount. 

Below are some additional resources that can help you better understand the new W4 form:

Employee’s Withholding Certificate 

W-4 Calculator 2023  * This calculator is a great tool that will help you in a practical manner understand how the W4 impacts your withholdings and tax refund. 

Thank you for reaching out and good luck ! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
srubino
Employee Tax Expert

Understanding new w-4

Hello, please see below link for assisting with your federal withholding 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

GabyC-EA
Employee Tax Expert

Understanding new w-4

Hi Spinfj,

The Form W-4for 2023 looks a little different than prior years. Deductions are now claimed in Step 3. In this step, you multiply the number of qualifying children under the age of 17 by $2,000 and the number of other dependents by $500. You add both amounts and enter the total on line 3. 

If you want additional adjustments, you  can also fill out step 4 (b). In this section you can add deductions you expect to claim other than the Standard Deduction. You can use the deduction worksheet on page 3 to calculate the amount. 

Below are some additional resources that can help you better understand the new W4 form:

Employee’s Withholding Certificate 

W-4 Calculator 2023  * This calculator is a great tool that will help you in a practical manner understand how the W4 impacts your withholdings and tax refund. 

Thank you for reaching out and good luck ! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies