rjbrandon9

Unclear as to why I pay tax on a few hundred dollars earned as a paid volunteer for two Virginia elections in 2018 as I am tax free on Social Security job earnings at this point. Appreciate knowing wh

rick97526

Intuit recommended their "Freedom" account, as the Adjusted Gross Income was low enough to file it really "free" - I tried that, but needed to sign up as a "new" account and couldn't phase over from "basic free" to the "really free" account.

Then I found out that if you have only non-taxable AGI, you don't need to file at all - even if IRS wants to charge a penalty, they will cancel it after some messages or conversation, so that's what I'm doing. I may go to IRS direct and pay them a few dollars as an advance or "quarterly" payment - they can refund next year if I can find a place to print out forms. I could not get forms this year, as it's too late from IRS and no stationery stores or online will provide unless you pay the filing fee first, which is now outrageous. Up to $100 for "exempt" Social Security income. Good Luck to you. Try the "Freedom Edition" account at TurboTax.