Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to e-file due to TurboTax internal error : Your Transmission Didn't Go Through "Unable to locate the attachment at /attachment/ Form8949ExceptionReportingStatement-1.pdf. Please go back and re-attach it

Ran SmartCheck multiple times, completed payment for state e-file. I am receiving the error below when trying to transmit the return. This is extremely frustrating as there was no indication in any of the prior steps.

The error is cryptic and not clear what I need to re-attach??

I appreciate knowing if anyone is seeing this error and any input or workarounds at earliest? Thank you.

Your Transmission Didn't Go Through

TurboTax was unable to send your return to the Intuit Electronic Filing Center, for the following

reason.

We can't e-file your return because we are unable to locate the attachment at /attachment/ Form8949ExceptionReportingStatement-1.pdf. Please go back and re-attach it. Then try e-filing again.

Looks like we've had a technical hiccup.

Try e-filing again. If that doesn't work, you can print your return and file by mail

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 9.34.28 PM.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Unable to e-file due to TurboTax internal error : Your Transmission Didn't Go Through "Unable to locate the attachment at /attachment/ Form8949ExceptionReportingStatement-1.pdf. Please go back and re-attach it

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am also facing the same issue.

I am also facing similar issue with 2 files unable to locate: Form8949ExceptionReportingStatement-2.pdf & Form8949ExceptionReportingStatement-4.pdf

Customer care doesn't know anything about it. I did screenshare as well for 2 hours and they did not know what to do; and not willing to solve from their end; nor ready to assign and complete taxes from their side nor they are providing any refund or service

I think I had to go back and re-do my investments/1099B import again and complete e-file. It was frustrating because “Smart check” did not complain or find anything wrong until the last actual filing step at which it fails.

For me, I tried re-doing everything again, deleting all the imports and redo but nothing worked on Desktop App for Mac. Still get the same error. Ultimately, I had to file my Taxes through TurboTax Online paying more;

Sad thing is: I had purchased state file $25 + Audit $45 on Desktop App and everything got wasted because couldn't e-file. 

Sorry to hear. I think you should be able to request refund for the unused desktop licenses/purchase. 

vrnakul

I faced the same issue during e-filing but I was able to find the reason this occurs in the TurboTax Desktop:

1. Click on "Forms" tab
2. Check your all your 1099-B forms

3. In these 1099-B forms, check the last line which has the title "PDF Attachment"

4. In this, the line would read "Taxpayer must mail in a statement with more details?..." -> the "Yes" option will be selected.

There are 2 options to overcome this:

Option 1: This might be particular to my case but one of my 1099-B was incorrectly imported and I fixed the 1099-B entry for this such that there is no additional attachment necessary.

Option 2: Need to send the returns via physical mail with the required attachment details of statements which reflect the 1099-B details.

yiaayz

Hey @vrnakul , may I know how you managed to select "No" for the PDF Attachment section? I tried to do the same in Turbotax 2023 Download but it does not allow me to edit the form directly. Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

I had to delete my 1099B and re-enter the information. That resolved the issue for me

I encountered this problem when I used the option of combining all my stock sales into one item. I solved the problem by entering each sale separately. Because Turbotax was not able to import stock sales information from this particular broker, I ended up doing it manually and one by one. NOT FUN!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies