Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Two saved tax returns

Just started taxes this year, only to find that I have two tax returns saved for 2021. I'm not sure what I was doing last year, but I need to make sure I pick the right one to transfer over. How do I figure out which one is correct? Do I contact the IRS to get the submitted return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Two saved tax returns

For Desktop Software only....sounds like what you have.

Depends on what you see.

IF one of them has a tilde "~" in front of it? Then that is just a temporary file in case of an unplanned shutdown or computer crash....and you just use the one without a "~" in front of it.

Then you need to start up your 2021 desktop software.

Open each tax file...one at a time.

Go up to the "File" menu item...

Select "Electronic Filing" from the drop down...and then "Show Electronic Filing Status History"

IF there is no history, then that form wasn't filed....try the other one.

Once you ID which is which......then the one not used may need to be renamed to something else..."2021 Test" ?  or deleted.  (Of course, this does assume you checked your filing status last year)

I keep several files of my own each year...one as "2022_Initial" early in the season....one "2022_Intermediate" for mid season (i.e. Now), then I'll have "2022_Final" for when I get all my forms in and I'm ready to file. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Two saved tax returns

For Desktop Software only....sounds like what you have.

Depends on what you see.

IF one of them has a tilde "~" in front of it? Then that is just a temporary file in case of an unplanned shutdown or computer crash....and you just use the one without a "~" in front of it.

Then you need to start up your 2021 desktop software.

Open each tax file...one at a time.

Go up to the "File" menu item...

Select "Electronic Filing" from the drop down...and then "Show Electronic Filing Status History"

IF there is no history, then that form wasn't filed....try the other one.

Once you ID which is which......then the one not used may need to be renamed to something else..."2021 Test" ?  or deleted.  (Of course, this does assume you checked your filing status last year)

I keep several files of my own each year...one as "2022_Initial" early in the season....one "2022_Intermediate" for mid season (i.e. Now), then I'll have "2022_Final" for when I get all my forms in and I'm ready to file. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Two saved tax returns

You can request a transcript of your 2021 tax return from the IRS to compare and determine which file is correct.  You can proceed to Get Your Tax Record on the IRS website to see your return.

@tgfathergoose

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies