Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxinator
Returning Member

TurboTax update generates a User Access Control prompt asking: "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?"

Beginning 3/9/24, when my TurboTax Premier 2023 desktop program on Windows 10 tries to update on startup or from online->check for updates, I get a UAC prompt asking: "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?". I have updated TurboTax four times since installing it in January, and never received this message. There seems to be a digital certificate issue. The UAC prompt identifies the program as C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service V5\IntuitUpdater.exe. On my computer, IntuitUpdater.exe properties lists the creation date as 3/25/2012 and last modified date of 8/24/22. Its digital certificate information for "Intuit ESD Test Certificate", signed 8/24/22, says "A cert chain processed, but was terminates in a root cert that is not trusted by the trust provider" and "This CA root certificate is not trusted, to enable trust, install this certificate ". (It does not instill confidence that the name of the cert has the word "test" in it.) Does Intuit need to update their root cert? Do I need a newer version of the updater and if so, how do I download it? My Windows 10 and related software are up to date. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

TurboTax update generates a User Access Control prompt asking: "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?"

You can safely ignore that warning. 

Taxinator
Returning Member

So I can safely allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to my device? What about the underlying problem?

cacamik

I am having the exact same problem which you seem to understand better.   Two sessions of tax prep after downloading the software without any problems.  Then I got into the same hopeless loop with the updater.  It dialog box you describe with "unknown publisher" doesn't look right.  Not the Turbo Tax theme colors.  Have you been able to sort it out?  do you know whether uninstalling Turbotax and reinstalling and starting all over (ugh!!!) might take care of it?   

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cacamik

Thank you but I tried this and got an automated answer line with no good option for this problem.   How do I get a live person to provide tech support for the desktop version?

Spoiler

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies