TT does not receive your Stimulus, nor your tax refund, so could not have taken it. The IRS may have denied it, but it does not notify TT. Please check the IRS website to see how much of your claimed refund was actually issued.
Please look at the IRS site to see how much they actually sent ... was it $1400 short ?
If so in the program ... Answering No on the question asking if you received a 3rd stimulus payment means you told TurboTax that you did not receive any payments.
In that case, TurboTax would add an amount on line 30 Form 1040 because you said you never received any stimulus money but if the IRS disagrees they would remove the credit amount.
So... if you never received a stimulus deposit or check—and the IRS records show they paid you—then you should ask the IRS to trace your payment. Many payments were sent and not cashed so a trace is the only option available to you. Some were sent on debit cards that looked like junk mail and many folks thru them in the trash. If the payment was never cashed ONLY THEN can you send in an amended return to claim the credit and attach the findings letter with the 1040X form.
The fastest way to initiate a trace is to contact the IRS by calling us at 800-919-9835.
You can also complete Form 3911:
- Write "EIP3" on the top of the form to identify the payment you want to trace.
- Complete the form answering all refund questions as they relate to your Economic Impact Payment.
- When completing item 7 under Section 1:
- Check the box for "Individual" as the Type of return
- Enter "2021" as the Tax Period
- Do not write anything for the Date Filed
- Sign the form. If you file married filing jointly, both spouses must sign the form.
You will generally receive a response 6 weeks after we receive your request for a payment trace, but there may be delays due to limited staffing.
let's see if we can figure out what went sideways...... please read below as in every post I have reviewed where the refund was adjusted, it's due to the same user problem as I note below.
you were entitled to the stimulus or the Recovery Credit - but not both.
The benefit is simply the number of people on your 2021 tax return LESS what you received last March - May. 2021 for the 3rd stimulus payment, but not less than zero.
what I find most are doing wrong is when TT asks how much you recieved last year, the correct number is not entered. The rest of the calculation is automated, so this entry is the only thing that can be wrong. Since the IRS knows what they sent you, if you do not enter the number that matches what they sent. the IRS is going to adjust your refund.
a few questions
1) how many people are listed on your tax return?
2) how much did you receive for the 3rd stimulus (plesae do no go my memory, look at your bank account statements or look at Letter 6475 that the IRS sent you.) Also, if you are filing joint, the biggest mistake I see on these boards is people not realing that there were TWO letters and they needed to be added together.
3) what is on Line 30 of your Form 1040?
4) how much was the refund you were expecting and how much are you getting. Normally, this is multiples of $1400.
with that information I can explain what occured.
Still have questions?Make a post