Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax told me that "1040/1040SR Wks: Cash Charitable is too large." even though I only put $264, which is less than the amount ($300) allowed by IRS. What should I do?

I am not sure I should just file it as is or should make adjustments to the amount I made donations.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Turbotax told me that "1040/1040SR Wks: Cash Charitable is too large." even though I only put $264, which is less than the amount ($300) allowed by IRS. What should I do?

This was an known issue that has now been resolved.  Here are the steps to correct it

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Select Review/Edit
  3. Click Edit to the right of Standard Deduction ​​Click OK, Sounds Good
  4. Click Wrap Up Tax Breaks
  5. Click Continue
  6. Make sure that $264 is filled in and then click Continue
  7. Click Lets Keep Going

Thank you for the quick reply and step-by-step solution. 

However, even though I followed the steps, Turbotax still gives me the same feedback. 

I am sorry that the first steps did not work.

These steps should resolve the issue.  

First, use the Chrome browser and clear browsing data for all time before signing into TurboTax.  That will clear any browser error that is causing this to happen.

Then follow these steps:

1. In TurboTax select Federal in the panel on the left
  2. Select Deductions & Credits at the top of the page
  3. Under Your Tax Breaks - Charitable Donations 
  4. Click START to the right of Donations to Charity in 2020
  5. Click YES
  6. Click ADD next to Money
  7. Type in the name of the charity that you donated to
  8. Type the amount of the donation
  9. Select Done with Donation
  10. Select Done

Now the $225 will appear on Line 10B in your 1040 and in the Charitable Contributions screen

Thank you so much for your help.

This time, it worked perfectly. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Return to the Donations section of your return, remove your entry in the CARES Act Charitable Donation screen, and enter it first in the regular charitable donations section. The extra cash donation is allowable up to $300 for all taxpayers except married filing separate, who would each have a maximum of $150.

To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

• First, enter in the charitable donation amount as you normally would.
    • From the left menu, select Federal.
    • Select the second tab from the left across the top, Deductions & Credits.
    • Scroll down to Charitable Donations.
    • Enter your details.
  • When finished entering all donations, select Done with Charitable Donations and Continue.
  • Scroll to the end of Deductions & Credits and select Done with Deductions.
    • You may need to respond to any other additional questions. You will eventually see: The Standard Deduction is Right for You! 
    • Click Continue.
    • Now, you will see Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act where you will see any qualified contribution amount already entered from your earlier posts. Select Continue.

[Edited 02/20/2021 | 5:27 AM PST]

@drex3819

I've followed both sets of instructions you have suggested here and above.  I switched to Chrome, I cleared the cache and history, and I followed the step-by-step instructions.  And yet, I STILL get the same error message.   What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to switch to a different tax prep software?  I see in comments that this is a known issues.....so fix it!  Any other help you have to offer would be greatly appreciated, please.  Thank you.  

@gofish2006 I also had this issue; it seems you have to enter the contribution under the standard charitable deductions/contributions as listed in @KathrynG3's comment.  Ignore TurboTax's popup that says you may not need to do this, they include this number in the check apparently.  They should automatically add you number here, but it seems they don't.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

If there was only an initial entry in the Cares Act section, then TurboTax is reading this as an override. Be sure to leave this box blank.

TurboTax will automatically carry the qualifying contributions listed in the regular Charitable Donation section to the Cares Act additional deduction.

To qualify, the IRS clarifies that the contribution must be:

• a cash contribution;
  • made to a qualifying organization;
  • made during the calendar year 2020

Otherwise, if itemizing and a large donation amount is entered, after entering the value and selecting Continue, a new screen, Donation Limits, will ask Were any of your donations to a fraternal order, veteran's group, nonprofit cemetery or other 30% charity? Answer yes or no and Continue.

All donations that meet the criteria under the Cares Act will qualify for the 100% of Adjusted Gross Income deduction automatically in TurboTax. 

For more information, see IRS Charitable Contributions Deductions.

@gofish2006

@aarcov

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies