Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax tilde file disappeared

It was my understanding that TurboTax files that have a tilde (~) at the beginning of the file name are now permanent backup files that are not automatically deleted anymore.  However, one of my TT tilde files has just disappeared.

The file that vanished is the file that has a double tilde (~~) in the file name.  It has a double tilde because it was automatically created by TT as a backup to my single tilde file. This single tilde file was an automatic backup to the original TT file that had no tilde, which became corrupted and unusable.

My questions:

1. What happened to the double tilde file that disappeared?
  2. What will happen to the single tilde file that is now my primary -- and only -- TT tax file?  Will it also disappear the next time I close the file?
  3. If these tilde files are in fact temporary files:
    1. Can I convert them to permanent file by renaming the file to remove the tilde character?  This has the advantage of not needing to open and close the file.  Or…
    2. Must I open the tilde file and then do a Save As to a new file name?  I prefer not to do this because that will also change the file’s Modified date, which I use to keep track of when files were finalized. 

Note that I didn’t change these tilde file names earlier because I read a post that said changing the default TT file name caused problems for the poster.

Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Those ~ files are only temp files.  You should have a file with the extension .tax2021, the .tax file is your actual tax file.  You should have your return open, click on the file menu, choose Save.  That should save your return as a .tax2021 file, which you would use.

You can open a temp file, work on it, then save as a .tax2021 file.

To add:  The temp files can disappear after a while if you worked more on your return, because the program will delete the temp files from time to time.  I usually delete them after I make sure my .tax2021 file is complete.

Thanks bluedeb.  Based on an answer from VolvoGirl to a June 5, 2019 post entitled “If Turbo Tax I get another file identical in name except the second file name includes a tilde character before its file name…” she said: 

“The ~ is a tilde file.   Those are temporary files that you normally don't see and normally are deleted.  But this year Turbo Tax is leaving them in the folder in case something happens like your computer crashes…” 

I had interpreted this to mean tilde files are now permanent files.  However, because my tilde file disappeared, maybe the tilde files are still temporary files subject to automatic deletion.  (As mentioned in my original post, my tax2021 file without the tilde became corrupted, and so I resorted to using the backup tilde file as my primary file.  I never changed its file name because I thought the tilde file was now a permanent file that won’t automatically become deleted.)

Can someone from TurboTax please confirm that TurboTax tilde files for 2021 tax year are still temporary files -- not permanent files?

Thanks.

t was my understanding that TurboTax files that have a tilde (~) at the beginning of the file name are now permanent backup files that are not automatically deleted anymore. they are not permanent. the next time you open the original file and make changes that tilde file will be overwritten with the new file.

The file that vanished is the file that has a double tilde (~~) in the file name. i.ve never seen this even when I open a tilde file. that may have been just temporary because I got no ~~file when I saved a ~ file after changes 

My questions:

1. What happened to the double tilde file that disappeared?
  2. What will happen to the single tilde file that is now my primary -- and only -- TT tax file?  Will it also disappear the next time I close the file?
  3. If these tilde files are in fact temporary files:
    1. Can I convert them to permanent file by renaming the file to remove the tilde character?  This has the advantage of not needing to open and close the file.  Or   yes you can rename then whatever you want just make sure not to change the extension is .taxXXXX   be careful with multiple files for the same year you could e file the wrong one and then you'll also have problems next year when you roll the 2021 file to 2022. you can not change the name of the file while;e it's open in Turbotax 
    1. Must I open the tilde file and then do a Save As to a new file name? no you merely need to close the file. go to the folder with the file  right click on it to change the name use the rename link
      1. I prefer not to do this because that will also change the file’s Modified date, which I use to keep track of when files were finalized. 

Note that I didn’t change these tilde file names earlier because I read a post that said changing the default TT file name caused problems for the poster.

Thanks, Mike9241.  I need clarification, however.

Right now, I have no usable TurboTax file that has no tilde in its file name.  The only file I had that had no tilde was the original one that became corrupt (I can’t open it).

As of yesterday, I had two usable TurboTax files:  (A) one with one tilde, which I am using as the primary file, and (B) a second one with two tildes, which I assumed was a backup to the file with one tilde.  This file with two tildes disappeared on its own today, as I mentioned in my original post above.  I’m assuming the program automatically deleted it.

So in summary, I have/had the following three files:

1. 2021Yepper22Form1040TaxReturnFileName (corrupt file that’s still there but can’t be opened)
  2. ~2021Yepper22Form1040TaxReturnFileName (current primary file that I used to e-file my returns)
  3. ~~2021Yepper22Form1040TaxReturnFileName (file disappeared today)

Question:  Can I assume the TurboTax file with only one tilde is not a temporary file that will be automatically deleted?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here to contact us for further assistance. Please ask for technical support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The TurboTax representative didn’t know what a tilde is.  So she checked with other groups.  Their final answer was that TurboTax files that have a tilde at the beginning of their file names are still temporary files.  However, they don’t know when these temporary files will be automatically deleted.

That must mean my tilde file with the extension .tax2021 (which contains my final tax file because the corresponding file without a tilde is corrupt) is a temporary file that will self-destruct at some point in time -- and I don’t want that to happen, of course.  How can I prevent this from happening?  How do I make a tilde file that is temporary into a file that is no longer temporary? 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Here is some great information in the threads located here and here, that can help in ensuring the files are not deleted. 

If you need additional assistance, please comment and I will be happy to assist further. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You can take the ~ off the file name in Windows.  Or just open that file and save it with another name.  Go up to File-Save As .  And backup the file.  Copy it to a usb drive or somewhere.

Thanks VolvoGirl (and CarissaM).  I will rename the tilde files and assume they are no longer temporary file that will be automatically deleted.

A suggestion:  Maybe someone from TurboTax can, for the benefit of the users, post a write-up on files having a tilde in its file name (what it is, why it’s created, when it’s automatically created and deleted, how to convert it into a non-temporary file, etc.).

I don't think they get deleted anymore.  I have Tilde files back to 2015.  They used to be hidden But Turbo Tax is leaving them in the folder in case something happens like your computer crashes. Then you can go back. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies