Solved: Turbotax self employed
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Returning Member

Turbotax self employed

I'm not certain which product to use.  I work as a ft w-2 employee AND a 1099 independent contractor.  My husband only as a 1099 independent contractor.  Would Turbo Tax Self-employed be right for us?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9

Turbotax self employed

Given that you have "outside income" as reported on Form 1099-MISC, hi your choices are: Online - primarily the Self-Employed version although both Deluxe and Premium do have Schedules C and SE, but see note below; or any of the Desktop versions.

We're still trying to figure out what limitations there are in the online Deluxe and Premium versions because even though to some extent the forms are in the versions, there are major limitations on expenses and other deductions.  Clearly Intuit is trying to move you to the Self-Employed version.  In theory you could start online with Premium and if you enter something that Premium won't support, you'll be led to pay for the upgrade.

Scruffy Curmudgeon
PFFM, IAFF, Locals 718 & 30, retired firefighter/medic; university faculty - Strategy & Quantitative Methods Med-M&M, Law discriminatory statistics, Med & PH - epidemiology statistics;
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 O3
-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Turbotax self employed

Given that you have "outside income" as reported on Form 1099-MISC, hi your choices are: Online - primarily the Self-Employed version although both Deluxe and Premium do have Schedules C and SE, but see note below; or any of the Desktop versions.

We're still trying to figure out what limitations there are in the online Deluxe and Premium versions because even though to some extent the forms are in the versions, there are major limitations on expenses and other deductions.  Clearly Intuit is trying to move you to the Self-Employed version.  In theory you could start online with Premium and if you enter something that Premium won't support, you'll be led to pay for the upgrade.

Scruffy Curmudgeon
PFFM, IAFF, Locals 718 & 30, retired firefighter/medic; university faculty - Strategy & Quantitative Methods Med-M&M, Law discriminatory statistics, Med & PH - epidemiology statistics;

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 15

Turbotax self employed

I recall that we were told earlier this year that if you have "any" expenses to write-off against that self employment income for 2016, that online "Self-Employed" will now be required.  Online Deluxe or Online Premier could only be used if you aren't reporting any business expenses.....just pure  income.
Highlighted
Level 9

Turbotax self employed

agreed, which is why I have said Deluxe won't do, and as for Premier - if the poster has no expenses, it will do, and if there are expenses, it will as I wrote force you to upgrade to Self-Employed version.  Without knowing the poster's situation, it seemed advisable to at least offer the Premier - no harm since if it does not fit, he gets bumped up.

Personally, I still think the best choice is Desktop anyway!

Scruffy Curmudgeon
Highlighted
Returning Member

Turbotax self employed

Thank you All!!!
Privacy Settings