Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Furikubitch
Returning Member

Turbotax says I have wages from 2022 for my current employer I did not work for in 2022?

So I went to do my taxes for this year and I only have one W2 for the course of the year. For the record it is a job I got in February/March of last year, I did not work in January and had not been working since August of the *previous* year. Last year my tax return went fine with the W2 I had from my previous employer. No issues and I got a small refund.

I go to enter my w2 details and everything is fine but once I'm done with that and reviewing my details I noticed something.

In my W2 review, where it reports previous income, it's reporting my AGI from the previous year's filing as part of my W2. I only worked this current job since Feburary of last year, as I said. I did not work for my job in 2022. I started this job in 2023.  However under the 'My income' hub page, where it lists your inputted W2s, it says 2022 - (AGI amount here), 2023 - (actual W2 information here).  And it's *only* for my new employer. There's no separation to say 'hey this was from x employer back in 2021 you reported for 2022'. It only lists it for my current employer and honestly I think it makes it look like I skipped filing taxes last year based on the fact it's saying I have to pay despite putting money aside for taxes all year.

I don't understand what to do here. I only have one employer for the year. The fact that it's registering me as having income from said employer in 2022 when I didn't even work for them then is making it so I can't even fill out my taxes because then i'd owe money.

What do I do? Contact my employer and inform them somehow my W2 has data attached to it from before I worked there? Contact the IRS and talk to them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Turbotax says I have wages from 2022 for my current employer I did not work for in 2022?

No, don't do that.

Follow the guidance in the TurboTax Help article How do I update or delete something I imported into TurboTax? and see if that fixes your situation.

Furikubitch
Returning Member

I have done that. I can not delete/update/ change anything that would remove the offending amount. I have restarted my taxes from scratch and ensured I deleted any w2 data from last year and moved onto the deductions section before moving back to put my actual W2 for this year in. It still shows as if I have 2 years of employment data for the one w2 despite only working there since 2023.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Were you able to solve your issue? Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies, and reopen TurboTax.   

If not, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies