Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax premier 2023 gives a "there seems to be a problem" notice when uploading quicken files. I have tried it both with quicken running and not running. Suggestions?

The path it shows appears to be correct, and I've tried using the browse function as well.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies

Turbotax premier 2023 gives a "there seems to be a problem" notice when uploading quicken files. I have tried it both with quicken running and not running. Suggestions?

You can try contacting Support tomorrow, but you might want to hold off until the software is updated (as it was just released).

How do I contact TurboTax? (intuit.com)

I do not think you will be able to a direct import from Quicken into TurboTax (TT) right now.
You will be able to do so after the Jan 1, 2024 or sometime after that.
I think Quicken will need to update the program before you can import it into TT.

In the mean time for what data that is available right now in Quicken you can to do this.

Open Quicken - Go to Reports - go to Tax - First pick Capital gains - make sure the Date is for Current Year (2023) (Year to Date) - then Export - then pick Report to Tax Report File - Save it somewhere you know how to find it - Name it 2023 Cap Gains or something like that.

Next do the same for Tax Schedule - once again make sure it is for Current Year - then Export - then pick Report to Tax Report File - Save it somewhere you know how to find it - Name it 2023 Tax Schedule or something like that.

Remember the year is not over yet.

Double check the reports before you import them into TT.

Now you will be able to open TT and have it import those files.

TT will import one file at a time.

I think if you want to do it again later you will have to remove the imported files in TT and import from Quicken again. Otherwise it may double the figures in TT.

I hope this helps and I didn't miss a step.

JohnS235
Returning Member

TurboTax will import a .tfx file. Open the Tax Schedule report in Quicken, then select Export and save as "report to tax export file".  Then open TurboTax import from accounting software and choose "Other Financial  Software (TFX file)" and choose the file you saved. 

Same problem here.  I've waited and continue updates but this problem has not been addressed or resolved.  Previous years worked fine as soon as I got my product.  

All this is well and good, but Intuit needs to fix this, and rapidly.  I've been both a Quicken and Turbotax user for over 20 years, and one would think this particular piece of system integration would be one of the first things the programmers would make sure works before release.

BTW: it is not entirely transparent how to create a TXF file in quicken.  I'm just going to wait till it gets fixed, or until I have all my tax paper in hand in February to even look at it again.

agree, not sure why this doesn't work now?  Shouldn't have to wait until after the new year???

I may be wrong but I do believe Quicken export into TurboTax is year specific. I mean that when Quicken updates their software for the next fiscal year (2024) they will fix the export when 2023 is over.

Also note that TurboTax does not have all of the forms ready yet. But can also be used for estimation.

That way all of the previous years activity is complete.

Now with that said you can always contact Quicken Support and ask when they will include the fix for this yearly problem.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Also note that this was a major problem for the 2022 import into TurboTax.

It took a long time for the fix.

I found the Quicken Community article that shows the fix was made available about June 1.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7930013/turbotax-import-failed-error-2-tax-year-2022-turbot...

I was able to import my Quicken files as soon as I got my Turbo Tax in previous years.  

I did figure out how to get my data from Quicken using the suggested  method from the Turbo Tax error message.  In Quicken, "File", "File Export", "Export Turbo Tax Schedule Report" (3rd one down), it will show "Quicken will export data from the previous year, OK".  Remember your file path and the location your file is in.

Go to Turbo Tax, "File", "Import", "From accounting software", "Other financial software", "Continue" and "browse" to pick your file.

I differ with your understanding of things are basically every point.

1. Until THIS year, and this year only, the import function worked fine via Quicken as of the Thanksgiving weekend. That includes last year. And it was suitable for tax PLANNING purposes using the current calendar year prior to January of the next year.

2. "Support" is ill-informed on this question, and the woman I spoke with had zero interest in investigating the issue to find out when this essential and advertised feature will be fixed.

3. This is not a problem with Quicken. This is YOUR problem, with Turbo Tax. TT does not import properly as it needs to. YOU need to fix YOUR product rather than point fingers at what is now another company that divorced from YOUR product.

resthome

Exactly this has to be a TT  error and we should not have to wait until next year for it to work. It's always work before and I never waited until the new year.

And like you i have used this ever year and never had this problem before. 

So when are you going to fix this Quicken Transfer problem ?

peterkronenberg
Returning Member

Was hoping this problem would be resolved after the new year, but no such luck.  Have never had this problem before even when importing at the end of the prior year.  Is there any official word on this?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

It appears you need to look under Reports in Quicken. 

Under Reports> Tax> Tax Schedule  

The icon next to the printer when hovering over it says Export Report Data to Different Formats.  

There is an option for Report to Tax Export File (TXF).  

Can you let me know if this works for you?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is a workaround, but it is clearly a much more manual process.  TurboTax has been able to Import directly from Quicken for years, without requiring any explicit steps on the Quicken side.

Yes, creating a TXF in quicken does work.  HOWEVER, what I, and I suspect many other users are commenting on is that in Turbotax, when you click on File/Import, and select the QDATA file to import from, it fails.  This has ALWAYS worked, for years (at least 20 for me).

This is the problem that needs to be fixed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies