Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax Premier 2023 Desktop for Mac crashes

Ever since I just attempted to update Turbotax 2023 Premier (on Macbook Air running Monterey), it crashes as soon as I fire it up.    I suspected the update, except I re-installed everything.  I deleted the app, I deleted the corresponding folder in ~user/Library/ApplicationSupport, I even deleted the download dmg file I used to install the program; emptied the trash and re-booted my computer.    Then downloaded and installed.   

It crashes as soon as I fire up the non-updated original (from the download) version, with the "it looks like we hit a snag" window.

I am at wits' end.   The only things I can think of are:

1. When I fired up the re-installed version, it seemed to already know what my license was.   That suggests I did not scrub all vestiges of the program when I deleted the app, and the dmg file, and the ApplicationSupport folder.

2. Before this happened, I had accidentally put my machine to sleep (closed the lid on my laptop) while it was in the process of installing the update.

Help !

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Here's the answer ... Just need to delete ALL the files associated with Turbotax before re-installing it, and to do that, include system files in the Finder search you perform.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/product-delivery/remove-reinstall-turbot...

The moral of the story is, do NOT allow your machine to sleep while and update is being installed.  I believe this is what caused the problem.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I also found and deleted a plist file in my Library.  Now, if I reinstall from the dmg files, I still get the "looks like we hit a snag" window, but it asks for and installs the update, and opens my return properly.

But if I quit and re-start, it crashes.

However, if I delete the plist file before I re-start it, I still get the "snag" window, but it starts up successfully.

It's clearly all about the plist file.  I have a little script to remove it, and if I run that before every time I re-start Turbotax, it starts successfully - but still gives the ""looks like we hit a snag" dialog.

Here's the answer ... Just need to delete ALL the files associated with Turbotax before re-installing it, and to do that, include system files in the Finder search you perform.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/product-delivery/remove-reinstall-turbot...

The moral of the story is, do NOT allow your machine to sleep while and update is being installed.  I believe this is what caused the problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies