Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kgk

,form 8936 not present in the turbo business CD software , please help.

I need to claim 7500 USD tax credit for electric vehicle for FY2018 , along with my S corp Business Tax filing , when will i be able to do it ..?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

"  I need to claim 7500 USD tax credit for electric vehicle for FY2018"

You are not going to like this answer, but I believe you are going to have to download Form 8936, prepare it manually, attach it to your return, and paper file.

In TurboTax Business, you can enter the credit in Schedule K using Forms Mode (see first screenshot). You should then see the credit propagate to your K-1(s) (see second screenshot - note there are two shareholders in my test return).

There is an outside chance that the form will be added to TurboTax Business at some point but I would absolutely not count on that, particularly since it does not appear to be supported by Intuit's ProSeries software.

Note that if you have the appropriate PDF software, you might be able to combine your 8453-S with your 8936 (i.e., scan both completed forms, combine them into one file, and upload that file to TurboTax Business) and then e-file.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Form 8936 is a form 1040 personal tax return form, not a business corporation or 1041 partnership or estate tax return.

You cannot file a personal 1040 tax return with TurboTax Business.   That is for corporations, partnerships and estates only.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
kgk

well then i should ask which form should be used for getting 7500 usd federal credit for electric vehicle for s corp

I will leave that for someone else that knows about S Corps.   The forms list for TurboTax Business does not list the 8936 as a supported form.

From the 8936 instructions:
Purpose of Form
Use Form 8936 to figure your credit for qualified plug-in
electric drive motor vehicles you placed in service during
your tax year. Also use Form 8936 to figure your credit for
certain qualified two-wheeled plug-in electric vehicles
discussed under What's New, earlier.
The credit attributable to depreciable property (vehicles
used for business or investment purposes) is treated as a
general business credit. Any credit not attributable to
depreciable property is treated as a personal credit.
Partnerships and S corporations must file this form to
claim the credit. All other taxpayers are not required to
complete or file this form if their only source for this credit
is a partnership or S corporation. Instead, they can report
this credit directly on line 1y in Part III of Form 3800,
General Business Credit.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

"  I need to claim 7500 USD tax credit for electric vehicle for FY2018"

You are not going to like this answer, but I believe you are going to have to download Form 8936, prepare it manually, attach it to your return, and paper file.

In TurboTax Business, you can enter the credit in Schedule K using Forms Mode (see first screenshot). You should then see the credit propagate to your K-1(s) (see second screenshot - note there are two shareholders in my test return).

There is an outside chance that the form will be added to TurboTax Business at some point but I would absolutely not count on that, particularly since it does not appear to be supported by Intuit's ProSeries software.

Note that if you have the appropriate PDF software, you might be able to combine your 8453-S with your 8936 (i.e., scan both completed forms, combine them into one file, and upload that file to TurboTax Business) and then e-file.

kgk

Though the answer is definitely not a good news for the turbo tax small business user's who bought electric vehicles, but atleast I appreciate tag team's guidance , and the clarity they provided . Thanks for your quick turn around.
np3
Returning Member

This question is for TagTeam. Is it sufficient to enter the credit in 1120S with out a supporting form 8936 ? Will the business returns filed using turbo tax business  be accepted with just a line entry.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that because the instructions for the form explicitly state:

"Partnerships and S corporations must file this form to claim the credit."
np3
Returning Member

Turbotax is refusing to acknowledge that 8936 is relevant to S-corp tax filing. Below is the response i got from them.

"
Thanks for taking the time to chat today about your electric car purchase.  As I've researched, I've seen form 8936 is only for personal tax returns.  It is reported to a 1040 or 1040NR - not to any business returns.

If you still feel you should be eligible for this credit to your business, you would need to talk to the IRS directly or a professional tax preparer.  

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance">https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance</a>

"

Can i file electronically and followup with a Paper copy to IRS. What is your suggestion ?

np3
Returning Member

Turbotax is refusing to acknowledge that 8936 is relevant to S-corp tax filing. Below is the response i got from them.

"
Thanks for taking the time to chat today about your electric car purchase.  As I've researched, I've seen form 8936 is only for personal tax returns.  It is reported to a 1040 or 1040NR - not to any business returns.

If you still feel you should be eligible for this credit to your business, you would need to talk to the IRS directly or a professional tax preparer.  

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance">https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance</a>

"

Can i file electronically and followup with a Paper copy to IRS. What is your suggestion ?

Call back and refer them to the following link (under "Purpose of Form").

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8936.pdf

Personally, I would combine my 8936 with my 8453-S, upload that to TurboTax as an attachment and e-file. However, that requires PDF software that supports merging (inserting) a page from another PDF, which you may not have available to you.

Barring the foregoing, I would simply print and mail the return, which would include the 8936.
gawa80

Looks like same issue for 2022 tax year. Does TurboTax intend to make this form available for 2022 Turbotax Business returns?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies