turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ccc
Level 3

TurboTax is adding lines 1 and 3 for 1099 INT on schedule b but separately adding line three in again

It seems like TurboTax is double taxing line three from 1099 i n t for the federal tax.

What appears to be in part one of schedule b is the sum of lines 1 and 3 on the 1099 INT but in addition there's a separate line item for line three. So I seem to be double taxed on the income for line three. Is this a bug in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

TurboTax is adding lines 1 and 3 for 1099 INT on schedule b but separately adding line three in again

Do you have an amount on line 2?  Line 3 is an excluded amount that is subtracted from line 2 giving the total on line 4.  Are you just seeing the total again on line 2 and not 3?

ccc
Level 3

Thank you so much for the reply. I don't have anything in box 2.

Not box 2 on the 1099.   Line 2 on Schedule B.  I think you are looking at the wrong lines on Schedule B.  

Not exactly sure what you mean by an extra line adding in the box 3 $$ again.

Guessing: 

On the PART 1 list of interest items on the actual Federal Sched B?

IF so, that Extra $$ amount might be coming from box 8 on a 1099-OID....if you have one.  Those $$ are separate $$/items that add to the list of entries on the Federal Sched B.

...but the box 3 $$ should only show up once for that particular payer (but added to any box 1 $$) On the Sched B...unless you somehow happened to create two separate 1099-INT forms and repeated the box 3 entry by itself.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Gues I'd need to see a copy of what you are talking about

(With your name and SSN banked out...or clipped off entirely)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
ccc
Level 3

Thank you so much for your response. I wasn't looking at the wrong box on schedule b. There was a line item on schedule b that came out of a list of treasury transactions from a 1099 b and that was confusing to me. That line item just happened to add up to a number that was very close to the interest paid on Treasury transactions that made up box three of the 1099 INT. 

So there's no bug here and I'm all set. Thank you so much for your input.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies