Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax imported my W2 wrong.

I imported everything right from the ein number to control number after submitting and viewing the copy of my 2018 return. the wage looks off!! acceptance is pending and agi says $0 the wage don't match my w2 looks like turbo tax added income from the education expense section?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Delete the W-2 and enter by hand form your paper W-2.   Any import error can be on the payroll companies end.

Always check any import of any form carefully as there are often errors or the form does not get encrypted correctly.

Trying to find out exactally were the error is can take many hours on the phone with either end and usually gets nowhere.

It takes less time to enter a W-2 manually than to took to type this.

If "pending" - do not do anything until you get an accept or reject.  If zero wage the  it should reject.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Delete the W-2 and enter by hand form your paper W-2.   Any import error can be on the payroll companies end.

Always check any import of any form carefully as there are often errors or the form does not get encrypted correctly.

Trying to find out exactally were the error is can take many hours on the phone with either end and usually gets nowhere.

It takes less time to enter a W-2 manually than to took to type this.

If "pending" - do not do anything until you get an accept or reject.  If zero wage the  it should reject.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

No the W2 import was right at the begining. Them after submitting/sending the return the wage line doubled..........not sure if it's because of other credits or what

this year they used a 1040. last year says 1040a

You might be confused by the new 1040 form 6m new schedules.  It is ALL new and different lines.

The new "simplified" 1040 form for 2018 is now the only 1040 form.  The old 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ have all been replaced with the new 1040 and 6 new schedules for additional items that are transfer to the new 1040.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4511015-what-are-the-new-schedules">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questi...>

that maybe so but on wages earnings for example " Lets say I earned I $5000 from W2s. So then why would after I sent it off and view it says $5500. on the wage line and agi. The irs just accepted it also..I don't even see where to amend so I can view it ..

Do NOT attempt to amend or change anything.

Unless you have other income (interest, dividends, retirement plan distributions, etc.) the wage and AGI WILL be the same as it should be.

==================
To amend your 2018 tax return:

-- First, *wait* to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. DO NOT do anything until you receive the accept or reject e-mail.

-- If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return.

-- If accepted you should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

-- Then you can start the amend process.

-- Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed"...>

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return">https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-re...>

how come on the new 1040 line 1 or box 1 says sch 500 out beside it? they added an extra 500 on my wages etc...my w2 did say this..

"SCH" = taxable scholarship or grant.   Did you enter a 1098-T with an amount in box 5?

Yes to both so I guess that was for my school 1098t form but yes to both..i almost had a heart attack
Vromh88

Did u have to end up amending? 

rssv

why I can not import when it says good new you can

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Possible reasons include:

• The employer's EIN (Employer Identification Number) is missing
  • The Control Number (W-2, Box D) is missing
  • The Box 1 amount is missing (try substituting the YTD or Year To Date gross federal wages amount from your final 2019 pay stub)
  • Your employer's payroll service isn't a TurboTax Import Partner

If you can't import, we'll prompt you to enter your W-2 manually.

Related Information:

@rssv

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies