turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

turbotax home & business

I understand I can e-file up to 5 tax returns for my family, but

!)  After the five e-files, what is the cost to efile my other family members' taxes?

2) Can I complete someone else's taxes while waiting for the other person to get forgotten tax form

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

turbotax home & business

Five federal e-files is an IRS LIMIT.  You cannot pay for additional e-files.  If you need to prepare and file more than five returns, the additional returns must be filed by mail.   So----within your family, decide whose return must be filed by mail instead of by e-filing it.   You can prepare someone's tax return but then save it and finish entering information when their additional forms or documents become available.  Do not file it until everything has been entered.

When you mail a tax return, attach any W-2's and 1099's that show tax withheld.   Use a mailing service like certified mail so you will know it was received.   And make sure you mail federal and state in separate envelopes to the addresses indicated to you on the printed filing instructions that will print out with the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

turbotax home & business

Sorry the IRS limit is 5 efiles.  

Yes you can save a return and start a new return.  Go up to File-New or Open.  For the Desktop returns, each return is saved in a separate file ending in .tax2023.  Like

[your name] 2023 tax return.tax2023.  So you can save a return and start or open another one.  You can do unlimited returns in the Desktop program like for other people or to test scenarios in.  You can even copy a return with another name to test.    

Also be careful if your name is the same as another return. Turbo Tax saves the tax returns as 2023 Smith J Form 1040 Individual Tax Return.tax2023. So if you have two or more returns for people that have the same last name and first initial the second return will overwrite the first one. So you have to be sure to first save the returns with names completely different to keep them apart. Don't use the default name given by the program. You need to go to FILE - SAVE AS and give the return a unique name you can tell apart. At least add the full first name. You don't have to use or accept the name Turbo Tax gives it. I save all my returns with different names.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies