Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JulieJev

TurboTax Home & Business has a glitch in 401K Maximize Profits check box

I wasted 65 minutes on the phone with Turbo Tax support on March 14th 2024 trying to explain that there is a glitch in the Home & Business software this year. I have W2 income and participated in the 401K plan with 25K contribution. I also have self employment income and would be able to contribute another 5K to my individual 401K plan since I am over 50 years old, since the Yr 2023 max is 30K for that portion. Then there is the employer match profit sharing portion that my self employment business would be able to put into my Solo 401K plan as profit sharing. I had tried to click on the MAXIMIZE PROFIT SHARING box that the program offers, but it was neglecting the fact that I already put in 25K to my W2 401K plan... and the resulting info it was giving me would have ended up in my contributing more to my Solo 401K plan than tax law would allow.  Thankfully, it looked strange to me and I confirmed with several tax CPA's how the calculation should work.  I called and spent over an hour with a TurboTax person, and was given a Tech Team Case number and told that I would hear something by email... but nothing was ever sent. Today I called back 5 days later and they can find no record of my case and the notes in the system were not helpful for them to even understand what the issue was. Unbelievable waste of my time. I will be fixing the glitch on my own, but was hoping to help others by having the glitch fixed... but can't waste anymore time starting over.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

We would like to take a deeper look at this. However, we would need a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed.
You can send one to us by following the directions below:

TurboTax Desktop/Download Versions:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click the Online tab in the black bar across the top of TurboTax and select “Send Tax File to Agent”*
  3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created.  Click on OK and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us.
  4. Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response.  

*(If using a MAC, go to the menu at the top of the screen, select Help, then, Send Tax File to Agent”)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was close to finishing yesterday, after adding some sales of stock. Curiously, the "Federal tax" due hadn't changed from when I added social security income. I check the 1040 and the "adjusted gross income" is $47000 and the tax due is $650. I haven't paid any taxes at all, for the year. Huh? This led to having to reinstall and the program stating I needed to download a state. Already downloaded, but when I click, it hangs. Got that sorted and attempting a new return. IS there a glitch in this program? 

JulieJev

Do I have to transmit another file? On March 14th when I was talking to the customer service team for 65 min, they already got on my computer and did this. That code was 1209714. When I called back 5 days later to see the status of the glitch, there was no record of anything that has been done on the case so I figured it out and fixed it myself but was more than annoyed that I wasted an hour and nothing came of it. Let me know if you can access that file info that was already sent using these instructions back from March 14th.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, I see your case, INV 28896, has an expected resolution date of 3/29.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies