Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax Free edition

I am using the TurboTax free edition due to my low income.  I have 2 K-1's that I need to enter...they do not produce much income. If I answer all the questions as required to enter the K-1's, will the filing still be free at the end when I attempt to file the return? I ask since the K-1's require more forms than typical.

Thanks in advance for help with this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax Free edition

There are 2 different Free versions.  Turbo Tax Free Edition and the IRS Free File website.  You are in the IRS Free File website.  It has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.  So you are ok and it will be free.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things.

AGI $39,000 or less.

Active duty military with AGI of $72,000 or less

OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Turbotax Free edition

TT Free does not include K-1 forms, nor does  IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax (intuit.com)

Edited 4/13/2021:  TT Free does not include K-1 forms.   However the IRS Free File program delivered by TurboTax (intuit.com) does.  The latter used to be called Tax Freedom.

Turbotax Free edition

I have already entered one of the K-1's and did a federal review and all looked good and it said that the return was prepared for free.  Does that mean that it will charge me later when I actually file the return?

Thanks. 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Turbotax Free edition

Are you sure you are still in the Free edition of TurboTax?  Look in the black bar on the left of your screen. You should see the version below the TurboTax logo.  [See Screenshot #1, below.]

In the K-1 section of TurboTax, on the screen Did you receive any Schedules K-1?  after you click the Yes box you should see a screen that you need to update to TurboTax Premier.  [Screenshot #2]

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income
  2. Under S-corps, Partnerships, and Trusts, click on the box next to Schedule K-1
  3. On the Tell Us About Your Schedules K-1 screen.  Click on the Start/Update box next to the type of entity (partnership, S-corporation, or trust/estate) that issued the K-1.     
  4. If you have already entered K-1 information, you will see a Summary screen.  Click Add Another K-1 to enter your information  (or click on Edit to continue with the existing form entry).    
  5. If you haven't started entering K-1 information, continue through the screens, entering the requested information.

Screenshot #1

Screenshot #2

Turbotax Free edition

In top left of black bar it says: TurboTax IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax.  When it asked about K-1's, it never said that I had to upgrade to premier version.

Turbotax Free edition

There are 2 different Free versions.  Turbo Tax Free Edition and the IRS Free File website.  You are in the IRS Free File website.  It has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.  So you are ok and it will be free.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things.

AGI $39,000 or less.

Active duty military with AGI of $72,000 or less

OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Turbotax Free edition

If you are in the Free-File program, there are no upgrade options.   You either qualify to use it or you don't.  And if you do qualify - it will be FREE.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbotax Free edition

@tonybeo  My statement was incorrect.  The IRS Free File through TT does include K-1.  My sincere apologies.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies