Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dzhang

My wife is a non-resident and does not have an SSN or ITIN, in order to apply for ITIN IRS requires this year's tax forms but TurboTax won't let me go on without her ITIN

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnC11

My wife is a non-resident and does not have an SSN or ITIN, in order to apply for ITIN IRS requires this year's tax forms but TurboTax won't let me go on without her ITIN

TurboTax does not support a Form W-7.  You will need to obtain the form from the IRS website, complete the W-7 then print and mail your tax return including the W-7 to the IRS.

Go to this IRS website for a Form W-7 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Go to this IRS website for a Form W-7 instructions - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

Whenever TurboTax asks you for your SSN/ITIN, leave it empty. You will be warned about Errors but that's okay because you aren't going to e-file anyway.

Once you've entered all of your date and your forms are complete, TurboTax will tell you that you will have to file by mail because you have errors which prevent e-filing.  

Save all of the forms to your computer and/or print them directly from TurboTax

When attempting to print you will be warned that you have errors and asked if you want to proceed anyway, say yes.

Sign your return along with your spouse if Married Filing Jointly and include any withholding or other documentation that would normally accompany your return.

Once completed mail the tax return including the Form W-7 to this IRS address, as noted in the instructions -
Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

If this helped you, please up-vote this answer so I know you were taken care of 100%. If we need to work together further to get it resolved, please comment...we'll get it taken care of together.

I'm here to help.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnC11

TurboTax does not support a Form W-7.  You will need to obtain the form from the IRS website, complete the W-7 then print and mail your tax return including the W-7 to the IRS.

Go to this IRS website for a Form W-7 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Go to this IRS website for a Form W-7 instructions - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

Whenever TurboTax asks you for your SSN/ITIN, leave it empty. You will be warned about Errors but that's okay because you aren't going to e-file anyway.

Once you've entered all of your date and your forms are complete, TurboTax will tell you that you will have to file by mail because you have errors which prevent e-filing.  

Save all of the forms to your computer and/or print them directly from TurboTax

When attempting to print you will be warned that you have errors and asked if you want to proceed anyway, say yes.

Sign your return along with your spouse if Married Filing Jointly and include any withholding or other documentation that would normally accompany your return.

Once completed mail the tax return including the Form W-7 to this IRS address, as noted in the instructions -
Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

If this helped you, please up-vote this answer so I know you were taken care of 100%. If we need to work together further to get it resolved, please comment...we'll get it taken care of together.

I'm here to help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies