Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax does not respect the "read only" permission and makes my tax files writable.

I keep changing the permission on the TurboTax files to not permit writing at the filesystem level.

TurboTax properly shows the return as "Locked".

But when I exit the program after having made exploratory or modeling changes, it asks if I want to save or "revert".  I choose "revert".

On exit of the program, the file now has writable permissions in the filesystem.

This is really scary since I strenuously do not want to accidentally modify my as-filed return.

I have started making otherwise unnecessary copies of the tax file "just in case".

After observing this behavior with the modify of the file permissions and the update of the filesystem modified time, I used "sum" to verify that the contents had not in fact changed.

This behavior was true for both TT 2021 and TT 2022 on a Mac.

Please don't fiddle the permissions and modify time if I don't want to save the file.  And if for some reason I did accidentally hit "save", confirm with me that I want to make the file writable intentionally.

As it is, I have to work overtime to protect myself.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TurboTax does not respect the "read only" permission and makes my tax files writable.

I will forward the issue you outlined. Thank you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I will forward the issue you outlined. Thank you.

You should be saving your file as another name to test in.  Go up to File-Duplicate.  I think it's Duplicate,  I don't use Mac.   Don't work in your actual file.  And save/copy/backup your  actual return to a usb drive or external device to save it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies