Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DaveW79
Returning Member

TurboTax Deluxe Capital Asset Sales Wksht False Error Check error message

I am having an issue with TT Deluxe.  In the Capital Asset Sales Worksheet, the last entry, whatever it is, gets and error-check error message saying that the purchase date is missing, even though it is there in the sheet.

Per an agent's advice, I deleted the Capital Assets data that I had imported from Stifel and re-entered everything manually.  That made no difference.  I tried to make a dummy entry below the one noted in the error message.  That had the same result.

Unfortunately, the error-check error still exists. This, I believe, is an error-check software issue that needs to be remedied by TurboTax.

After discussing this with you, and doing everything that was suggested, I again contacted TurboTax and tried again with another TT agent.  She repeated the same suggestions originally made.  When I told her I had tried all this previously she got annoyed with me and told me to stop interrupting her.  At that point I fumbled the phone and lost the call.  To say the least, I was quite annoyed.

So it is my opinion that nothing I can do on my end will resolve this issue, except, maybe, upgrading to TurboTax Premier.  I can do that, and the $30 upgrade fee is not an issue, but it is very frustrating that one can do the Capital Asset stuff in deluxe, but it doesn't work as it should.

Screen capture below.  Please forward this to someone at TT who can investigate and correct this issue.

Erroneous TurboTax error message.JPG

Please respond with what TT can do about this.

Thanks,

DaveW
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

You will need to upgrade to Premier to support your capital gains. You can see this product comparison web page for more information. Once you upgrade, you will want to make sure your software is up to date. Please see this Help Article for instructions on how to check for updates. Here is also an article regarding Capital Gains Tax that may be of interest to you.

@DaveW79

DaveW79
Returning Member

I have for the last many years been able to successfully handle my asset buys and sells with deluxe.  The fact that I can't this year is new. Oh, well, I was expecting that TT would say I'd need to upgrade.  It's too bad that yesterday I spent 3+ hours on the line with TT agents and doing what they said would work, and of course  it didn't.  They should have said right off the bat that I'd definitely need to upgrade, but even though I mentioned that I thought that might be the case, they did not confirm it.  Very frustrating.

And I update every time TT says it will on opening, so that is not an issue.

DaveW79
Returning Member

OK, I upgraded.  Upgrading DID NOT CORRECT THE ISSUE!

I'm still getting EXACTLY the same erroneous error message that I noted in my 1st post. I WILL NOT contact the TT agent again.  That was totally useless and a waste of time.

DaveW79
Returning Member

I also checked for updates - my TT is current with all updates.

DaveW79
Returning Member

In case there was some issue with forms left over from the deluxe version, I deleted the Stifel 1099B and the Asset Sales Wksht.  I then re-imported from Stifel.  New forms were created after the import.  However, the erroneous error message in the screen capture (buy date missing in Royal Shell even though it is actually there) remains.

I am out of ideas.  What gives?

DaveW79
Returning Member

OK, I figured it out.  I had 10 principal payments which had no purchase dates.  These were causing the error above.  When I finally labeled them all short term the error went away.  That would almost certainly have had the same effect in Deluxe as it wound up having in Premier.  So I upgraded w/o needing to.

tclandi
Returning Member

I have 6 blank (not filled in) items at the start of the Capital Asset Sales Worksheet.  The information was imported from a brokerage firm.  I am using Turbotax Premium.  How can I delete those entries without redoing the entire import? Those entries are yielding multiple error messages,

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

To delete the form in Turbo Tax Online, please click here

To delete the form in Turbo Tax Desktop, please click here

Please let us know if you need further assistance, let us know. @tclandi

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DaveW79
Returning Member

tclandi:

I would try "view forms" in the view menu on the top.  Once you are in the form, you should be able to delete individual entries w/o deleting the entire form, which I would assume you do not want to do.

That screen capture is seriously messed up🙄 What's with the streams of empty checkboxes?!? That page reminds me of early web forms that had gone corrupt due to the way all the different browsers interpreted html. Garbage!

rap51
Returning Member

I have been using Premier for years and always seem to have problems pertaining to the import of stock trades .

Main problem is form 8949.... 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You are posting on an old thread. We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question? What does the Error Message say?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies