Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sweendog10
Returning Member

TurboTax 2022 is leaving block 5a blank on form 1040-SR but is populating block 5b properly. It is messing up my state tax. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

It won't let me change the form or worksheet.  Can it be filled in manually with a pen without raising a red flag?  That still leaves the problem with transferring to state.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

TurboTax 2022 is leaving block 5a blank on form 1040-SR but is populating block 5b properly. It is messing up my state tax. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

If box 2a on the Form 1099-R is the same amount as in box 1 then on the Form 1040 Line 5a will be blank

IRS Form 1040 Instructions (2023) page 27 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf#page=27

If your pension or annuity is fully taxable, enter the total pension or annuity payments (from Form(s) 1099-R, box 1) on line 5b; don’t make an entry on line 5a

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What state are you in? Every state has different forms and rules. Exactly how is the blank 1040-SR line 5a "messing up" your state tax return? What specific form and line on your state tax return is wrong, and what is wrong with it?

As DoninGA said, if your pension is fully taxable, 1040-SR line 5a is supposed to be blank. It's very common for line 5a to be blank, so the state must have a way of handling it.

Sweendog10
Returning Member

The state probably has a way of handling it but the TurboTax state version does not.  The TT 2021 Fed version did not leave 5a blank and the State version had no problem.  2022 version left it blank and there was a problem.  Will have to do it manually somehow.  TurboTax would not let me make any changes.  Many frustrating hours wasted.

What state?  This is very common for 5a and 4a to be blank.  Maybe something is wrong or missing in boxes 14-16 for state?  If box 16 is blank enter the amount from box 2a.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies