Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax is saying the EIN I entered is invalid , I have double checked and I have entered the number from the W2 in the same format. Not sure what to do

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax is saying the EIN I entered is invalid , I have double checked and I have entered the number from the W2 in the same format. Not sure what to do

Since you are  manually entering the information from the paper copy of the W-2 received, please also verify if you entered the name of the employer exactly as it is on the W-2, they both have to match the IRS database!  

If you did and you verified the number was entered exactly as reported on the W-2, then you may need to contact your employer to verify the information on the W-2 tax reporting document.

the format for the ein (federal) should be xx-xxxxxxx

I have checked with the employer.  They swear it is correct.  It was correct last year.  I was paid by a different employer that uses Quickbooks.  Turbotax downloaded the info and they got a new EIN(different than the W2).  It was the same with two new digits added on the front.  How do I find out what two digits to add to my wife's employer's ID?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

The Employer Identification Numbers should be reported exactly as it is reported on your W-2 Forms.  

Make sure there are no stray characters or extra spaces in the input. 

If you do not see any errors, you can also delete the input and re-enter it as a new entry.

For example, for a W-2 error, you can do the following.

1. Go to the Federal section of the program. 
  2. Select Income & Expenses
  3. Select Job (W-2)
  4. Select the little trash can icon to the right of the applicable W-2 entry
  5. You can then proceed to Add a W-2 to reenter your W-2 information again
  6. Proceed to enter your information as prompted

W-2 input

@jrdunn96

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JohnPK1

New entries EIN Format for 1099-NEC is not working. It is providing the SSN format. I rebooted my PC several times but no success. Please advise.
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

@JohnPK1 What version of TurboTax are you using? What is on the page where are you trying to enter the EIN for Form 1099-NEC? (Your answers will help us identify the issue.) Thanks.

lucytax88
Returning Member

I have same issue. I checked : yes, use EIN" but it still display SSN format xxx-xx-xxxx. And then it tell me invalid entry

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@lucytax88

At what screen are you having this issue?  Some screens in the program ask that you declare whether you are entering an EIN or Social Security number before you enter the number.

What version of TurboTax are you using?

Please clarify.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies