Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax insists that my 6 year old can support herself and I can't claim her as a dependent. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Turbo tax insists that my 6 year old can support herself and I can't claim her as a dependent. Why?

You must have answered a question incorrectly when entering them as a dependent.  You should have selected that the child lived in your home for the Whole Year.  That the child did NOT provide over one-half of their own support.  

Delete the child as a dependent and re-enter.  Read all the questions carefully and you should not have any other issues.

There are a couple questions you could have answered wrong under My Info.  Click on My Info then click Edit by Dependents, then click Edit by their name and go though all the screens again.

The one that says did your CHILD pay more than half of their support.  It's not asking if you did.

If you can't get it to change then try completely deleting them and re-entering them.  Sometimes that helps to clear something out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies