Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT told me that I can't efile federal but may could efile state. But later says cannot efile state since didn't efile fed. Ug!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

TT told me that I can't efile federal but may could efile state. But later says cannot efile state since didn't efile fed. Ug!

A Federal return and state return can be efiled at the same time, but a state return cannot be efiled by itself unless an efiled Federal return has previously been accepted.   So if you didn't efile a Federal return, you cannot efile a state return, unless your state tax agency allows one to be filed on its website.

Why were you unable to efile the Federal return?  Maybe someone can help you fix it so you can efile it.  Or did you already file it by printing, signing, and mailing it out?   (TurboTax does not mail it for you.)

kslaught

I had the same issue. I efiled my federal return and it was accepted. I went back the next day and tried to efile the state return. The next window told me that I had to efile the federal return, but I had already done so. I called Turbo Tax support and got no help

@ kslaught wrote:

I had the same issue. I efiled my federal return and it was accepted. I went back the next day and tried to efile the state return. The next window told me that I had to efile the federal return, but I had already done so. I called Turbo Tax support and got no help

They don't have the solution yet but are working on it.

This issue is a known issue for some users that's being investigated, so there's not a solution at the moment.    It started about 4 days ago.   "Some" users are finding that they cannot efile their state return by itself even after the Federal return has been accepted.  

TurboTax started a trouble ticket and investigation on this issue a few days ago, and there is no new information yet.   Hopefully, you "should" be able to efile the state return once they figure out what is causing the roadblock.  They started a FAQ on this issue a couple of days ago, where you can sign up for notifications.   If it was happening to me, I'd just hold off for a while until I had more word from TurboTax because efiling is much better than filing on paper and mailing.   Hopefully, they can figure out a fix soon.

So far they have only this brief FAQ, where you can sign up for notifications:

FAQ:  Why am I not able to e-file my state return after filing my Federal return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

It's not affecting all users, however.  So check again with the Review and error check like mentioned in the FAQ, but it may not make a difference unless you do have an error crop up.   And here's something quick to try in the meantime, just to make sure that TurboTax is recognizing that your Federal return is accepted and saving it into the file.  This is for the Windows version.

• Launch TurboTax and open your return.
  • In the top left corner of the TurboTax interface click on the FILE menu and in the dropdown, choose "Electronic Filing."
  • Then in the next menu choose "Check electronic filing status."  Hopefully, it will say accepted.
  • Then SAVE the file.
  • Then close TurboTax, then re-launch it and try to efile state again, but I'm not real confident you will see any difference.  You may still reach a roadblock.

Hi.

If you are having trouble e filing your state taxes, you might try your state's website.  There maybe filing options to be found.  One being to e-file your return.

Good luck

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies