Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT Free Ed. is autofilling a box marking AMT paid in a prior year when I didn't. Box de-selected, it continues to ask me questions about '19 AMT forms. What's wrong?

On the state credit page there is a check box already filled asking if I had paid AMT, when I unclick it and choose instead None of the Above, it will also select the AMT box for me and continue to ask me questions as if I had checked the AMT box.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

TT Free Ed. is autofilling a box marking AMT paid in a prior year when I didn't. Box de-selected, it continues to ask me questions about '19 AMT forms. What's wrong?

If you filed taxes with Turto tax last year, the AMT dialog box will come up automatically.  It's an alternative tax that calculates along with your regular tax. Below are simple instructions to enter or clear AMT.

1. Login to Turbo Tax
  2. Under Other Situations tab, click Alternative Minimum Tax, then click start.
  3. Next screen, "Let's See if  you need to pay AMT this year"
  4. Read the screen, you must answer yes or no.  
  5. Select yes, if you have any common deduction in 2020 such as standard deduction, state and local taxes paid, and excess ISO.
  6. On the screen " Do you have any of these uncommon situations" will deterrnine you need to pay alternative minimum tax. Below is a screenshot of the screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies