Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT Deluxe NOT showing Recovery Rebate on Federal 1040 Line 30 in TurboTax

We followed all information in this in this help thread but it was early in the tax season.

I filed my taxes but for line 30 of the stimulus p... (intuit.com)

Our Form 1040  line 30 STILL displays blank. (I even went back into TT to redo it after filing and it still shows blank for Recovery Rebate Credit)

We received the first payments totaling $2400 for the first rebate but neither of the second rebates since our bank changed. In TT I entered these values in the Recovery Rebate section (Step-by--Step mode) of TT Deluxe (2400 AND 0 respectively in the field on that from page) and our Federal 1040 line 30 displays NOTHING?

We filed on 4/15/2021 and I overlooked this on the form since I specifically recall getting asked this information on the Step by Step mode and recall inputting the values (2400 and 0). Can I refile now--again before 5/15/2021?

Also for those that keep mentioning Notice 1444 -- don't -- we did NOT receive 1444, so we CANNOT request a trace from the IRS. It's a banking issue.

Specifically, why is $1200 NOT Showing up on 1040 line 30. Is this a software issue?

Please advise. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can amend to try to claim the missing stimulus money. Please wait until your original return has been processed before filing the amended return. Please see FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

To claim the credit in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Log into TurboTax.
  2. After entering all your information click "Federal Review" at the top of your screen (or click "Search" and type "Stimulus" and follow the jump to link). 
  3. On the screen "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount" click "Continue".
  4. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received.  If you did not receive a payment enter "0".
  5. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to get. 
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

To be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit you need to be a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2020 and have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.

You cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else to be eligible. 

Your credit amount will be reduced if your 2020 adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than: 

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals filing as a single or as married filing separately.  

Your payment will be reduced by 5% of the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above. (IRS FAQ Recovery Rebate Credit )

If you received Notice 1444 in the mail but have not received your payment as mentioned in the notice, then you need to request a trace to be able to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. Please see How do I request a payment trace to track my first or second Economic Impact Payments?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I understand the procedure for reporting the Recovery Rebates and WE DID SO in this Turbo Tax Step by Step Mode. All this other information is not relevant.  I understand how to check for payments. I did not ask this.

The Notice 1444 only applies IF the IRS tried to send the payment and it was not received.  We never received 1444 since they did not have correct banking data I presume.

My question is why is the $1200 figure NOT displaying in Turbo Tax. This is the issue.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please, be aware that I cannot see any details of your return therefore, I gave you the qualifications for the Recovery Rebate Credit to check if any of this applied to your 2020 tax situation.

If you still need more help to figure out why you didn't qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit, then please see What is the TurboTax phone number?.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

OK here's the latest.

and according to TT support...

Hypothetically let's say your tax is 2400 before you get to Line 30. Then let's say you received the first payment (2400) and NOT the second (0) AND did not get a Notice 1444. Then TT will not enter $1200 on line 30. Apparently, you pay the FULL tax excluding the Recovery Rebate. According to TT support, the IRS should be able to identify that you missed the payment in Jan 2021 and either does one of the following: (1) deposit the amount in your new account OR (2) issue you a credit -- if you have a balance. This sounds overly optimistic considering but I suppose this is the latest info from TT. At least it got me off the phone. It still does not make sense with the user interface with the software and how one is entering their data.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies