Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TT 2022 Home and Business will not import previous year's return

Then try a universal search on your hard drive(s) for *.tax* also any cloud drives, external drives, USB drives or network drives.  Also, check your Recycle Bin for any files.

If you have Windows 10 check the OneDrive.  Or to Drop Box.  Check your backups.  Could it be under a different user on your computer?   

gmski
Returning Member

Thanks, I appreciate your trying to help.  I've tried the universal searching and can't find anything at all.  Also tried uninstalling TT22 and reinstalling, but no luck.  The IRS has an online transcript request feature; do you happen to know if TT2022 can import anything from a transcript?

@gmski wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate your trying to help.  I've tried the universal searching and can't find anything at all.  Also tried uninstalling TT22 and reinstalling, but no luck.  The IRS has an online transcript request feature; do you happen to know if TT2022 can import anything from a transcript?

Sorry, no, TurboTax cannot import or transfer an IRS transcript.

No, I do not know anything about importing from a transcript. My experience of not being able to transfer 2021 file to TT 2022 very frustrating. It eventually was solved. How? I do not know how except I continually attempted and checked file names. Very frustrating as had been importing for >8 years successfully. Some other minor glitches with TT 2022 also. 

gmski
Returning Member

Thank you for the information!

gmski
Returning Member

Well, it gives me hope that you just continued to try finding the file and it eventually worked. You are right, it's exceptionally frustrating as I've never experienced this issue ever before.  At this point, I may have to pay the IRS for a hard copy of my 2021 return (as if I didn't already pay them a small fortune last year.)  Thank you!

I'm having exact same problem with TT2021. However I'm able to re-download ANY previously purchased programs from Amazon OR Intuit. That said, the reinstalled TT2021 was NOT able to open either the original "2021_records.pdf" or the amended "2021_records.pdf". I normally have the "tax2021" BUT Microsoft did a number on my Win11 system TWICE late last year & it seems I've lost "tax2021" forever.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Have you checked your recycle bin or other folders to see if it got moved to another folder? @wellhopper 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, I checked all folders. Yes, after much time pain finally TT transferred file. Do not know what step provided the transfer. I a plus 8 years user and 1st experience not to transfer file information. 

Please RE-read my post...as stated my problem is NOT with TT2022, it's 2021 AND its NOT with the .tax* file! MY problem is twofold...1st is that TT20* does NOT import from a .pdf file AS ADVERTISED; 2nd, & admittedly not TT's problem, is that Microsoft's Win11 completely destroyed my desktop not once but twice between Oct 22 & Dec 22 with their cumulative updates & unfortunately I had NOT made a copy of my original .tax2021 OR my amended .tax2021 files to my external SSD when the disasters struck. I do have BOTH as .pdfs BUT as a LOT of Intuit customers are finding, they are virtually worthless for importing into the next year's TT OR even into a re-installed TT that created them! And I want to emphasize WORTHLESS!

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

So we can further look into this, please give us a call here. @wellhopper 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gmski
Returning Member

The crazy thing is, I still have the TT software programs installed on my pc for tax years 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021; I never uninstalled them.  When I click on each of those programs individually from the start menu, the .tax files are listed, but when I try to open the files, I get an error message stating "the file has been moved, renamed or deleted."  Since I know I've not moved or renamed them, I'm convinced that the installation of TT2022 overwrote those files.  I spent an hour and a half on the phone yesterday with a very nice lady in customer service, but she unfortunately couldn't help me.

THANKS! to Wilson at TT who offered this...the IRS is able to provide you with an electronic transcript of recent tax filings which then can be re-imported into the corresponding year's TT. He also said that if  TT doesn't recreate the corresponding state .tax* file that I maybe able to get it from the state. Fingers crossed & I hope to be able to report back that this successful!

What?  Anything you get from the IRS can't be imported into Turbo Tax.  You can use it to manually enter the info.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies