Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Trying to start over want to file head of household

1 Reply
Texas Roger
Level 15

Trying to start over want to file head of household

You don't need to start over to change filing status to head of household if you qualify. Just go to Personal Info and change the filing status. If you have a dependent that qualifies you as head of household, you should have already entered the information on that dependent. 

Head of Household filing status qualifications:

1. You are not married or “considered unmarried” on the last day of the year. You are considered unmarried if you lived apart from your spouse the entire last 6 months of the year.

2. If "considered unmarried" you file a separate return from your spouse.

3. You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home  for the year.

4. You have a qualifying child (whether or not you claim the dependency exemption) or you claim a dependency exemption for a “qualifying person”  who is related to you and who lived with you in the home for more than half the year. An exception is a parent does not have to live with you to be a qualifying person.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings