Solved: Trouble with Federal E-file charging a fee

Trouble with Federal E-file charging a fee

The Federal E-File process is requiring a $44.99 fee to file.  This happens to be the the amount for the Audit Defense fee but I have not selected that option.  I can not find a work around to this problem.

Watch out for this screen

Watch out for this screen

My page look just like your image but with the $44.99 amount.  

Hope you got it worked out.  May I ask if you are in California?  In CA you have to buy Premium for 44.99 to have the fee deducted which does include Audit Defense.

Using the "Pay by Credit Card" option bypassed this service fee to pay for the state E-filing fee.  Thank you for your help!

Are you Efiling a state return?  That is the state efile fee in the Desktop program.  Or you can print and mail state for free.  What you get is one free state program download to prepare unlimited state returns. 

Oh excuse me, it's late.  The fee to efile state is only 24.99.   Do you want the 24.99 deducted from your Federal refund?  Are you in California?  There is an extra 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge (44.99 in California) to have the fee deducted.  Go back through the File tab and read all the screens slowly and watch what you click on.  There is one screen that can trip you up.  

Thank you for your reply.  My state E-file fee is $24.99.  Are you saying that TT charges $20 on top of the $24,99 state fee?

No.  I'm sorry.  Read my second post above.  There is another 44.99 if you want to have the 24.99 deducted from your refund.  So 24.99+44.99

I don't want to have the fee deducted from my return.  Yet I can't move on without paying the $44.99... Unless it is only $24.99 if paid by CC.  Trying now.

Why am I being charge for filing my federal tax

If you selected the TurboTax Free Edition and are seeing charges, you may want to review your fees and remove any add-ons that you don't want. TurboTax Free Edition handles simple returns with no additional schedules, but you are still charged a preparation fee, which could be what you are seeing.