Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hkarlovac

Treasury announced this week that the threshold for penalty for underpayment of taxes is now 80% not 90% of last year's taxes: Does this software yet reflect this change?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Treasury announced this week that the threshold for penalty for underpayment of taxes is now 80% not 90% of last year's taxes: Does this software yet reflect this change?

The changes to Form 2210, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates and Trusts, are scheduled to be updated in a release currently planned for March 29, 2019. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

No, not yet.  No date is currently available when this change will be made to the software since it is so recent.  The software has the 85% threshold for underpayment penalties as originally instructed by the IRS.
Tess8

No, it doesn't.  My version (updated yesterday, supposedly) still shows 90%

Yes, it does.  In Forms mode looking at the 2210, the 80% exception for the waiver is clearly shown in the 80% Exception Smart Worksheet.  Updated to Release 24 on 4/4/19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any way to recover a paid penalty(now rescinded) without filing an amended return?  Filed and paid (including penalty) in March.  Update now shows payment not including penalty, but no info on recovery.  
efsmith34

I spent an hour on the phone with help and they said the only think to do would be to file an amended return and fill out the 2210. Turbo Tax couldn't generate a form for me to show the amount i paid was due back

The changes to Form 2210, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates and Trusts, are scheduled to be updated in a release currently planned for March 29, 2019. 

anny9699

Hi, I already filed my federal return using turbotax (with tax penalty computed at 85% ) and the return already got accepted. How can I make the change?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies